Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

4.10 gear install - is it a do-it-yourself job?

Old 05-16-2014, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.10 gear install - is it a do-it-yourself job?

I am looking at potentially installing 4.10 gears in my 1999 Camaro SS 6-speed.

My question; is this a do-it-yourself job? Or should I leave it for the pros? Are there any write-ups on the net that show step-by-step how to install them?

I have done axles, springs, shocks and other things on other cars, so I am not sure if I would be fully capable to do this job.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do your homework on this. DYI? Depends on if you understand backlash and how to achieve it. Do you have a press? Pinion and carrier bearings will need pressed off and on. Can you read a gear pattern and know how to shim to achieve optium pattern? Only you will know if you feel comfrontable enough to do this.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jr.Samples
Do your homework on this. DYI? Depends on if you understand backlash and how to achieve it. Do you have a press? Pinion and carrier bearings will need pressed off and on. Can you read a gear pattern and know how to shim to achieve optium pattern? Only you will know if you feel comfrontable enough to do this.
Looks like I have no clue. I don't own a press and cannot read gear pattern, apply shims, etc. That said I will need to take this job if I decide to do 4.10s to a pro.

Reading a lot of debate though about 4.10s actually making the car slower through the 1/4, using way more fuel on the highway and only "feeling" faster.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

where are you reading that? Gears in an auto are not the most useful things in the world and money is better spent elsewhere. However in an m6 gears make a huge different. An auto uses a converter to slip itself into the powerband so gear choice doesnt matter much but in an m6 where the drivetrain is directly linked then the steeper gears will accelerate much faster. Only way they slow you down in the 1/4 is if you're shifting slow and or shifting right before the traps
Old 05-24-2014, 08:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If I ever finish mine (stuck on getting a damn bearing race out for a couple weeks), I'm planning to make a write up. So far, it's been pretty straight forward, but I haven't even gotten to the hard part yet - the shimming, pressing, preload and backlash measuring, etc...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.10 gear install - is it a do-it-yourself job?