Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

f*#d 9 inch drain/fill plug... or lack of

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f*#d 9 inch drain/fill plug... or lack of

I had a 9" built by Pyle Bros in Baytown several years ago (awesome guys btw). I recently noticed I have a right axle bearing going out and figured while its apart this would be a good time to put lca relo brackets and possibly put in a drain and fill plug that my case doesn't have. Not sure of locations or if there is some other alternative to this but I would feel much better having the ability to drain and fill without having to pull axles and 3rd member out Thanks for the info!
Old 05-23-2014, 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There was a blank pad inside the bottom of the case on my factory 9" housing, I drilled and tapped it there for a 3/8" pipe plug...
Old 05-24-2014, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So there's some kind of marking for me to tap? No issues Welding a bung or 2 but I don't know where to do it. What about a fill plug? Is there a location for that to fill the proper amount of fluid?? Thanks!
Old 05-24-2014, 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket97
So there's some kind of marking for me to tap? No issues Welding a bung or 2 but I don't know where to do it. What about a fill plug? Is there a location for that to fill the proper amount of fluid?? Thanks!
There was on my factory housing. Since you're taking it apart, it won't really matter. If there is a pad, just drill and tap it. If not, weld on a bung...

Quick Reply: f*#d 9 inch drain/fill plug... or lack of