Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ohhhh just a 10 bolt question..

Old 06-30-2014, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ohhhh just a 10 bolt question..

Like the title says....

01 f body 10 bolt with the auburn diff.

Noise is getting louder that sounds like a left rear wheel bearing has formed...

This thing hasn't blown up yet so I don't really wanna fork out the money for a 9" but the noise is getting pretty loud.

My question is... Could this be carrier bearing noise and it's traveling through metal so that I think it's wheel bearing?

I wouldn't change one rod bearing but would I change just one bearing on the axle?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

What kind of noise? When does it occur? Go ahead and change both wheel bearings and inspect the axles while its apart. If you have to rebuild later, the rebuild kits are cheaper with no axle bearings so you would save the money/time you've already spent.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2000 ws6 from my brother that when he bought it was making noises from the rear that we thought was axle bearings. Well we replaced both axle bearings and the noise was still there. I purchased the car from my brother with it still making noise and the intent to rebuild, well it let loose before i had the opportunity to rebuild, so i guess what im trying to say is fix it before it trashes everything like mine did. Because its a bit of a pain trying to locate a rear at least around me it has been, but if your like me and cant afford to upgrade id maintain the 10bolt nicely haha
Old 07-02-2014, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
What kind of noise? When does it occur? Go ahead and change both wheel bearings and inspect the axles while its apart. If you have to rebuild later, the rebuild kits are cheaper with no axle bearings so you would save the money/time you've already spent.
Yeah, what he said..

Rear wheel bearings aren't that expensive or hard to change, so I'd just do that first. If the noise is still there, then try carrier bearings.

Is it a constant sound or is it only when turning? Is it different one direction vs the other?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ohhhh just a 10 bolt question..