Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ready to buy narrowed S60.....is the S-Trac a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Ready to buy narrowed S60.....is the S-Trac a good choice?

I'm ready to order a narrowed rear end for my 98 SS...what do you all think of the S-Trac?.....my car will be 70% street, 30% strip....i will probably only drive it about 2000-3000 miles a year....planning on 4:10 gears with the M6......will the S-Trac hold up with my current mods?.....should i go with a spool and save a little $$$
Old 07-12-2014, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO the S-Trac will be fine for you and is the best posi unit available for the S60/T56 combo. I'm sure at some elevated power level the helical gears in it will give up but not at 400rwhp. My S-Trac has been great so far with the same usage as you anticipate. Use some bias ply tires at the track to absorb the hit and you'll be fine. If you were 70% track use and looking for more HP then maybe the spool would be better.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detroit Tru-Trac is a great unit. What about an ARB? Spool for the track, open for highway.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by guppymech
IMHO the S-Trac will be fine for you and is the best posi unit available for the S60/T56 combo. I'm sure at some elevated power level the helical gears in it will give up but not at 400rwhp. My S-Trac has been great so far with the same usage as you anticipate. Use some bias ply tires at the track to absorb the hit and you'll be fine. If you were 70% track use and looking for more HP then maybe the spool would be better.
cool.....is yours quiet?....that's really important to me, i don't want to put $$$ into a rear that whines alot or is clunky when you go around corners....i plan to getting bias plys with drag wheels.....still haven't decided on which wheels though....i already have several parts to go on when the rear arrives:

UMI long torque arm, relocation kit, chromoly LCA's, solid alum motor mounts, quicktime bell housing

i'm planning on dropping the stock rear this weekend so i can pull the backing plates off.....ready to pull the trigger once i find the best price

Last edited by jc98ss; 07-12-2014 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dan58
Detroit Tru-Trac is a great unit. What about an ARB? Spool for the track, open for highway.
i haven't heard about ARB.....i'll have to read up on it.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jc98ss
cool.....is yours quiet?....that's really important to me, i don't want to put $$$ into a rear that whines alot or is clunky when you go around corners....i plan to getting bias plys with drag wheels.....still haven't decided on which wheels though....i already have several parts to go on when the rear arrives:
My S60 has no gear whine. Strange uses OEM Spicer gearsets for most of the ratios for the S60 which is nice because they are quiet. The S-Trac makes a clunk at stop lights when shifting the trans from neutral to 1st, which is normal for that type of posi unit. If you wait twice as long as normal before putting the shifter in 1st there is no clunk as the trans internals have stopped spinning by then. The clunk is from the helical gears wedging in their pockets from the slight rotation of the driveshaft caused by the inertia of the shafts rotating in the trans that must stop when 1st is engaged. If that makes sense. Anyways a Eaton True Trac will make the same noise.

If you have any questions I would suggest you talk to Carl at CRP, he is the man for S60s.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:36 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
I'm ready to order a narrowed rear end for my 98 SS...what do you all think of the S-Trac?.....my car will be 70% street, 30% strip....i will probably only drive it about 2000-3000 miles a year....planning on 4:10 gears with the M6......will the S-Trac hold up with my current mods?.....should i go with a spool and save a little $$$

The Strange S-Trac is one of the best diff units on the market, and best thing is it is made right in Chicago. Most people are unaware that the Eaton Truetrac unit is made in Taiwan!

The S-Trac in the S60 will hold your power level just fine, plus a lot more. Keep in mind a spool will always be the best traction, lightest weight, and strongest diff you can ever get. I have a lot of customers go straight to the spool, and very few have ever changed it out to go to a posi. And... that 300+ cost difference will get you a free driveshaft for the most part.

When you are ready, give us a call. MWC always has the best prices and tech help you can find, hands down. If you find a lower price we will beat it!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Im very happy with the S-Trac in my s60.. Its very quiet and feels just like stock.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ssvert99
The Strange S-Trac is one of the best diff units on the market, and best thing is it is made right in Chicago. Most people are unaware that the Eaton Truetrac unit is made in Taiwan!

The S-Trac in the S60 will hold your power level just fine, plus a lot more. Keep in mind a spool will always be the best traction, lightest weight, and strongest diff you can ever get. I have a lot of customers go straight to the spool, and very few have ever changed it out to go to a posi. And... that 300+ cost difference will get you a free driveshaft for the most part.

When you are ready, give us a call. MWC always has the best prices and tech help you can find, hands down. If you find a lower price we will beat it!
X'2 theses guys are great! I went with them! S60, 4.10 gear, 6spd & S-trac too

Quick Reply: Ready to buy narrowed S60.....is the S-Trac a good choice?