Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Wavetrac or Eaton Truetrac?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I sell, assemble, install, and have experience with all 3 units. The Truetrac is made in China, sold by Eaton Corp. The case is much weaker than the S-trac or Wavetrac units. I have priced them and to be honest for the little difference in cost the tried and true units with a lifetime warranty are much more appealing. Figure in if you did have a failure the cost of replacing all the broken parts/damage it will cause will far exceed the difference in the initial purchase.

Now... The S-Trac and Wavetrac are the same price, same warranty, very similar design. I have warranted the Wavetrac unit from flat out breakage a few times, I have never warranted a S-Trac unit and we have sold a whole lot of them... a whole lot. Wavetrac(Autotec) is in California, but I cannot guarantee the unit is USA made. I know for a fact the S-Trac unit is 100% USA made right in Chicago, IL. These are the hard facts.

Here's proof of the S-Trac for you. Nitrous M6 car, low 9 seconds, on slicks. Has had the S-Trac test units for 4 years now. http://edition.4hop.com/PROMEDIA/FSC_0214/index.html
Old 01-02-2015, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99
I sell, assemble, install, and have experience with all 3 units. The Truetrac is made in China, sold by Eaton Corp. The case is much weaker than the S-trac or Wavetrac units. I have priced them and to be honest for the little difference in cost the tried and true units with a lifetime warranty are much more appealing. Figure in if you did have a failure the cost of replacing all the broken parts/damage it will cause will far exceed the difference in the initial purchase.

Now... The S-Trac and Wavetrac are the same price, same warranty, very similar design. I have warranted the Wavetrac unit from flat out breakage a few times, I have never warranted a S-Trac unit and we have sold a whole lot of them... a whole lot. Wavetrac(Autotec) is in California, but I cannot guarantee the unit is USA made. I know for a fact the S-Trac unit is 100% USA made right in Chicago, IL. These are the hard facts.

Here's proof of the S-Trac for you. Nitrous M6 car, low 9 seconds, on slicks. Has had the S-Trac test units for 4 years now. http://edition.4hop.com/PROMEDIA/FSC_0214/index.html

Do the S-Tracs 'ramp up' in bias like the Wavetracs do??

I know you mainly deal with straight line/drag/launch apps, but which one would be better for corner exit/putting power down in a road race/autocross app between these two, and WHY??

Last edited by dailydriver; 01-04-2015 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently have a Wavetrac that I broke with my 450hp M6 car after a year of racing, I may try the S-trac next.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion on this...
The trutrac is a great replacement for any stock unit. I have it in my rear
And it drives like stock. No noise no whine. But it wont exactly hold up if your pushing over 500rwtq and drag racing every other weekend on sticky tires.

I have looked into switching over to the wavetrac. But as i did research on it, a lot of people had issues with the internal gear lash causing drivetrain slack and clunking when accelerating and decelerating. I contacted the autotech wavetrac offices directly and spoke with the guy who claims to have invented the unit. I was just trying to check with him to see if the wavetrac had excess backlash naturally. The conversation was unpleasant. He told me to either buy it or not. And that he had no interest in discussing the bad reviews his product received. I dont feel comfortable with that so im sticking with the trutrac.
I did find out though that polyurethane bushings and mounts tend to bring out the excess backlash of helical gear style differentials in the form of clunking noises. So take that into consideration when going with either one and daily driving it
Old 01-04-2015, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The wavetrac material is leaps and bounds better than what the trutrac uses. In fact, most if not every trutrac units is cast iirc; the wavetrac is billet steel.

I have contacted wavetrac about their unit and had a uncomfortable, pointless conversation with them as well. I'm suspicious of their engineering in some of their applications and brought this up, they could care less. They also don't understand differences in gear oil from what I recall.

I don't have enough experience on s-trac for an opinion.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

If the casing isn't what breaks, then it really doesn't matter that it's cast. I realize billet would be superior but the machining of it adds substantial cost to the unit I'm sure.

Last edited by 01ssreda4; 01-12-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a trutrac gear I pulled out of a build today...this ain't the first, I know it won't be the last.
Attached Thumbnails Wavetrac or Eaton Truetrac?-20150111_173928.jpg  

Quick Reply: Wavetrac or Eaton Truetrac?