Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

detroit locker and a T56...

Old 07-27-2014, 05:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default detroit locker and a T56...

ok so im aware of how a detroit locker works but does anyone on here with both 6 speed and locker notice how violent it will slam your drive shaft or who knows what else??? i get the typical loud clank when it locks every so often but when im making an easy turn my car will buck and the noise my drive shaft or diff or trans will make is absolutely horrifying and add in the bucking its a violent slamming sound... the only way i can make it around a corner without this happening is to be full on the gas and accelerate like an *** hole or try and coast around the corner until i can go straight again and then begin to accelerate...is this **** normal? as for the bucking well i have a good sized cam in my car but before i put in my 9" and locker i never had any of these problems. its actually kind of embarrassing to have some one in the car with me when im trying to make a turn and the look they get on their face when they feel the banging and hear the noise is even worse. i mean i CAN make turns with minimal noise and bucking but i seriously have to be 100% conscious of it and baby the clutch and gas as much as possible.

also lately ive been chasing a harsh vibration and made a separate post about it but to me this type of brutal abuse from every day driving with a locker would make me think its done some serious damage somewhere because i dont know what type of parts can take such a brutal slamming without something eventually failing. at this point my pinion angle and drive shaft/u joints have been taken out of the equation so i still have a harsh center line drivetrain vibration that comes on around 105mph-150 mph then smooths out on or off the gas
Old 07-27-2014, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a locker in my m6 trans am for years. Yeah it was a little harsh and took some getting used to. But after a while I hardly noticed it. The noises you are describing sound normal. And as far as damaging anything it won't. Buddy of mine has a locker in his 2000 ss that runs 9.7's and street drives it everywhere. I believe he has over 35,000 miles on his locker with zero issues.

I currently have a spool. To be honest I wish I would've kept my locker instead
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya i mean ive got maybe 15k on mine and maybe its partly cause i havent driven the car in 3 years up till this point but to me this extreme harshness just doesnt feel ok on my transmission.... i wish i could find someone with a locker themselves so i can bring them in my car and see if what im feeling is normal... and even if it is normal like i said how can this extremely violent slamming back and forth of the drive shaft be good on the tailshaft of my transmission?? i wouldnt be too concerned about this but like i mentioned in another post im trying to chase down a harsh vibration that comes on @100+mph and goes to 150...i feel it right down the middle of the car and in my shifter ****... ive adjusted pinion angle to a million different point and have done it a million different ways all suggested by the pros like BMR UMI etc... i even went and bought a new DS with new joints and still no change... i REALLY am hoping this isnt transmission related but have tried going up to speed with the DS removed which resulted in no vibrations at all??
Old 07-28-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know the history on your locker? I have an ex-circle track locker (left turn locker) in my Mav with auto. When bought, I had no clue there was any other type than a "normal" locker. IRC, on these, the right axle is spooled direct to the center and only the left axle unlocks. It is definitely nasty on right turns!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What transmission mount are you running?
Old 07-31-2014, 11:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same way with the noise and slamming around. I don't have the vibration though.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Do you know the history on your locker? I have an ex-circle track locker (left turn locker) in my Mav with auto. When bought, I had no clue there was any other type than a "normal" locker. IRC, on these, the right axle is spooled direct to the center and only the left axle unlocks. It is definitely nasty on right turns!
i bought my locker new myself, run of the mill detroit locker with 35 splines and 4.11s
Originally Posted by Sprayed 99
What transmission mount are you running?
Poly mount which ive had on there since before any of this vibration **** started happening

im going to try a new rear tailshaft bushing as i feel like i have more than "normal play" on the yoke as it sits inside the tail shaft. also figure ill try a new poly mount mine looks a little beat up
Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lockers have so much play in them that they can tear up the transmission synchros, as they tend to only allow smooth shifting at wide open throttle. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-16-2014, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine works great. No noise, no vibration, no harshness. 12 bolt with 33 spline true track, 3.73s, 02 Z28 6 speed.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 7008ccGTO
Mine works great. No noise, no vibration, no harshness. 12 bolt with 33 spline true track, 3.73s, 02 Z28 6 speed.
A "true track" is definitely not a (Detroit) locker, completely different principal of operation...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: detroit locker and a T56...