Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Swapping Diff from 00 SS into 99 Z28, ABS Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Swapping Diff from 00 SS into 99 Z28, ABS Question

Been reading alot about this, but got a quick question.

I just swapped out a diff from my 00 SS parts car into my "new to me" 99 Z28 Oilfield transportation car.

First thing i noticed was how the 00 SS diff acts like the Detroit trutrac in my 9" Foxboy RACECAR ... My Z28 had a posi, have burnouts in the driveway to prove it. I'm guessing that the 99 Z28 had a Auburn POSI and the 00 SS has a Torsen. The 00 SS also has 3.73 gears. On the SS, with the wheels off the ground, spin one wheel the other spins in the same direction.

Next was the ABS, the 99 Z28 has sensors for each wheel. the 00 SS has one sensor at he diff housing.

Will this work in my car? Will it throw codes? From what i can see the single (00 SS) sensor is a 3 channel with ABS and the dual (99 Z28) is a 4 channel and has traction control.

Thanks for y'alls time.
Jay

Old 08-08-2014, 06:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You can make the ABS work but it will be difficult. In short, you will need to drill a hole in the top of the housing (which wont be there) and you need the speed wheel inside on the posi unit (which wont be there).

To your posi questions. Generally all 99+ v8 cars got Torsen units. The exception was optioned SS models could have gotten an Auburn from SLP as an option. No others would have gotten this stock. Now, torsens should spin one tire one way, and the other should reverse while in the air. Auburns should not act like this. Only way to verify 100% what you have is to open the cover and take a picture.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Teching In

My new 00 SS diff has the sensor located in the top of the diff housing and the wire going to the bulkhead connector... I checked the SS and it has a ASR switch...

The Torsen is a gear diff right? Where the Auburn is a limited slip clutch type posi...

On my gear style Detroit locker diff in my Mustang the wheels spin in the same direction... The Z28 diff wheels spin in opposite directions.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

from original post;
the 00 SS is the donor car and the rearend out of it is a 3 channel with the sensor at the top of the rearend.
the 99 Z28 is the 'new' receiving parts car and is a 4 channel that had sensors at each axle.

pulling the axles and backing plate assemblies from the removed 4 channel rear and putting them on/into the 3 channel rear will make it a 4 channel rear to match the cars' system.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Well got it on the ground... Had a ASR OFF light, I expected that and could car less about traction control. When i was about to stand on the brakes to activate the ABS i look down and have the BRAKE and ABS INOP lights... Stand on it and she locked up tighter than little sister... NFG, I need ABS if this is going to be a safe driver back and forth to Port Fourchon LA...

Looks like I need to look into swapping the 4 channel parts out of the old rear end...

Going on Vacation, wife is shutting me down... I'll get some pics in a week. Thanks for your time.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
from original post;
pulling the axles and backing plate assemblies from the removed 4 channel rear and putting them on/into the 3 channel rear will make it a 4 channel rear to match the cars' system.
Thanks I thought it had a tonner on the diff due to the sensor on top
Old 08-08-2014, 12:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

you're welcome ! nice pic of your 'work area' in post #1. Is the one pewter color ?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Yeah Pewter 00 SS front end damage... Pulling the black interior out... Not looking forward to the dash removal and installation

Quick Reply: Swapping Diff from 00 SS into 99 Z28, ABS Question