Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" axle assembly help. Moser customer service is a joke!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Moser 9" axle assembly help. Moser customer service is a joke!!!

I'm trying to make sure I only do this once, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from Moser after calling them twice and speaking to 2 different people. I purchased a 9" from them and my pretty straight forward question is in what order do i need to install the brake plate, bearing and if there is a shim involved where does it go exactly....? Any help?
Old 09-10-2014, 06:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Your bearings aren't already pressed on? I've bought axles from Moser & QP, both times the (ball type) bearings came installed. You'll have either a "C" looking retainer plate that can be removed at will, or a solid one that does not come off once the bearing is on. Either way, the backing plate can go on first. The bearing OD is small enough to pass through the hole in the backing plate. Never dealt with any shims...
Old 09-11-2014, 07:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcel1500
I'm trying to make sure I only do this once, and I can't seem to get a straight answer from Moser after calling them twice and speaking to 2 different people. I purchased a 9" from them and my pretty straight forward question is in what order do i need to install the brake plate, bearing and if there is a shim involved where does it go exactly....? Any help?
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Moser-12-...structions.htm

Take a look at my step by step installation instructions at the above link. Let me know if you have any questions. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 09-16-2014, 10:38 AM
Staging Lane

Well now when I test fit my axles it looks as if the passenger side axle is not seating far enough inside the housing for the bearing to be completely inside of the housing.if I were to bolt down the brake bracket it would pull the bearing off seat about 1/4".
As far as the driver side it looks as if it's sitting 1/8" recessed inside of the housing when test fit. That I can live with. The passenger side how ever is an issue.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Axle too long? It may be hitting the cross shaft. You could stick a broomstick in until it touches, measure, then compare against the axle...
Old 09-16-2014, 06:56 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

This might help you out. Bob

Moser 9" Axles In Various Spline Sizes for 93-02 F Body at standard length

Truetrac: 33 7/16 passenger side
30 3/8 driver side

Trac-Loc: 32.875 passenger side
30 3/8 driver side

31 spline locker: 32.875 passenger side
30 3/8 driver side

35 spline locker: 33.00 passenger side
30.50 driver side

35 spline Wavetrac: 32.875 passenger side
30 3/8 driver side

Spool: 33.00 passenger side
30.50 driver side

Old 09-17-2014, 09:18 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you for the help Bob. I have the tru-trac posi and my axle lengths are 33 11/16 on the passenger side and 30 1/2 on the driver side.
To make matters worse I have assembled the 3rd member to the axle housing and prior to installing my 3 channel abs sensor I can look inside the housing thru the abs sensor hole and there isn't a reluctor ring installed on the 3rd member. This just keeps getting better.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thank you for the help Bob. I have the tru-trac posi and my axle lengths are 33 11/16 on the passenger side and 30 1/2 on the driver side.
To make matters worse I have assembled the 3rd member to the axle housing and prior to installing my 3 channel abs sensor I can look inside the housing thru the abs sensor hole and there isn't a reluctor ring installed on the 3rd member. This just keeps getting better.
The first thing I would do is to remove the center section and verify the reluctor ring isn't on there. If it isn't and you ordered it with the ABS option you'll need to send the center section back to Moser, and you might as well send the axles back too. If the ring is on there, then you could grind the axles down to fit. Did you order this rear directly from Moser or did you order it through a vendor? Bob

Old 09-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

I've spoken with moser and I have to send the center section back to have the reluctor ring installed.
As far as the axles issue goes, I gave them the measurements for my passenger side axle and so far they are telling me that it's within tolerance. If they won't repair it for me I'll have a machine shop trim it or I'll do it myself.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I've spoken with moser and I have to send the center section back to have the reluctor ring installed.
As far as the axles issue goes, I gave them the measurements for my passenger side axle and so far they are telling me that it's within tolerance. If they won't repair it for me I'll have a machine shop trim it or I'll do it myself.
Did you order this rear directly through Moser? Bob

Quick Reply: Moser 9" axle assembly help. Moser customer service is a joke!!!