Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Torsen experts - gears jammed up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Torsen experts - gears jammed up?

So, after replacing the axles, axle bearings and seals, went to put c-clips in and reinstall the Torsen thrust block when I noticed the passenger side gear (splined for axle) had moved toward the center of the carrier about 1/16", preventing the thrust block from being inserted. I do recall the axle rotating backwards 1/4 turn and stopping when pulling new wheel studs through.
Tried jiggling/rotating passenger side axle to see if the gear would move back, but no luck. Seems like the gears are locked/jammed up now.
What are my options? Is there a way to free this gear without removing the diff and taking it apart?
Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

did you use 'axle saver bearings' ?
Old 09-29-2014, 04:22 PM
Staging Lane

No, I used the 5707 bearing and 86605 seal.
Old 09-29-2014, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

Default Solved!!

After a quick search of how the Torsen operates, I found some text describing how the gears can be cut so that one gear can turn another but not vice versa. My thinking was maybe turning the axles back and fourth while pulling wheel studs through somehow locked the gears up (had the trans in 1st the whole time). So, I decided to start the car thinking that if I apply some torque from the normal direction, it might loosen something up. As soon as I did that, I heard a 'click' and after shutting the engine off and checking the passenger side gear, it had moved back towards the outside of the carrier and I was able to slide the thrust block back in.

Quick Reply: Torsen experts - gears jammed up?