Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

You tell me whats wrong , Gear pattern

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good luck buddy, hope it works out for you.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by homemade87
Ok , Heres an update . I finally got my pinion tool in ( T&D pinion tool ) and tore it back down . I checked the depth and found I was .005-1/2 too much shim from the marking on the pinion .Top of Pinion said 2.859 , I was at 2.864-1/2 . So I removed the .005-1/2 and the pinion tool put me right on the 2.859 . So I run a pattern check and it looked pretty good .To double check the pattern I removed .002 and run a pattern( too shallow) and added .002 and run a pattern . The .002 added produced the best pattern . Gear set backlash specs was .006 . I wound up with .006-1/2 .

I am sorry I dont have pictures . I forgot the camera . In the end The pinion tool was a great tool for people like me to give a solid starting point . Not everyone is great at reading patterns . It is definitely a art form . This gear set in my opinion gave a decent first set up pattern that looked run worthy , but turned out it was not . Even the motive engineers thought it looked good before I buttoned it up the first time . But the motive engineers did say remove .003 after the first test run when I sent them the after picture pattern. So they were pretty close to what I wound up with .

I have not run it yet because we just got a snow storm in north Alabama ( not too often we see snow in Alabama ) . So I don't know if there will be any gear noise at this point . In the end in my opinion this may be some of the reason some have so much trouble with the aftermarket gears . Pattern looks good but not close enough .

By the way , the T&D pinion tool was dead on with the moves I made and very accurate . I should have had one of these years ago . To those who are professionals you may see this tool a waste of time , but for people like me its going to be a asset to my tool collection .

I will post the results after the test run . Sorry for the long post but the snow has me stuck at the computer .
Any update? Did they get quieter?
Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike , I guess I for got to update after I got a chance to drive it . The gears never got quiet . Could have been from several things like I did drive the gears maybe 10 miles while I was trying to figure it out , the orange box motives like Red has stated are just going to be noisy , the torque arm will transfer even a little noise to the body . It did get some better and quieted down one side quite a bit ( coast side I think ) . After using the T&D tool I was confident if I hammered on it they were not going to fail . The car was not a daily driver so It was fine .

I have set up a few more gear sets with great success with the T&D tool . I can set up a set of gears in couple hours now with confidence . As RED stated in a post the AAM oem ( dead quiet ) gears are the only way to go , but they dont make a 12 bolt 8.8 so aftermarket only . Blue box motive would be my next choise if avaliable in the gear you want .
Old 05-12-2016, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Yep my orange box both times were a tad noisy. I went richmond this go round, quiet as a mouse, broke em in for 5 miles then towed her to the drag strip. They are retarded loud now after the first launch
Old 05-13-2016, 10:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the replies

I drove my orange box motive 3.73 home 50-55mph for 35 miles, it was quiet then, but now it is noisy 50-70 and some other random accell only and seem to be getting louder. Either that's just the way they are or I drove too far on break in, either way, going back to S10 3.73's that made a tiny bit of noise I thought I would be able to make silent!

Quick Reply: You tell me whats wrong , Gear pattern