Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Leave brakes and lines in car when swapping rears

Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Leave brakes and lines in car when swapping rears

I read or heard somewhere of it being done. Leaving the brakes and hardlines in the car . I'm swapping from my 10 bolt to a mwc fab 9 .

Has anyone else done this and is it more of a hassle than just dropping it all out .

I swapped rear ends in my 85 form the 9 bolt to a Chrysler 8 3/4 but since it was a custom install we did new lines . Anyone have any links or experience with it .
Old 02-06-2015, 09:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

yes,if you're using the existing calipers.
even though I'm only using 10 bolts,your question applies.
I replaced my OEM 3.23 rearend with a complete 4.56 10 bolt rearend and then 4 years later put the complete 3.23 rearend back in.
unbolt the calipers and let them hang(supported) in the wheel well,no reason to break open the brake fluid line. unbolt the flex line anchor block(s) off the top of the rearend,unclip hard lines along rearend.
unplug any sensors.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the same swapping out a V6 rear end. It's a little bit of a hassle to do it yourself, but saves you the bigger hassle of bleeding the brakes. Just follow the advice above and take your time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leave brakes and lines in car when swapping rears