Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Diff Leak after service (pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff Leak after service (pics inside)

So a while back before I put my car into storage I changed the diff fluid out, and I used a Fel Pro gasket just because I have never had one leak on me before. I cleaned off all the surfaces extremely well and then tightened the bolts down in a criss-cross pattern, however I noticed the seal is leaking. I'd rather not have to do this all over again and it leak on me again, so is this small of a leak (more of a seep really) okay to drive on? To me since it's not dripping and a small amount of fluid can appear to be a lot it would be okay to drive and routinely check the fluid level, however I wanted to get a second opinion.

P.S. on the ground that is water from my exhaust, no leak over there
Old 02-19-2015, 09:55 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should be ok for awhile, unless it becomes excessive. I see plenty of trucks with that wet *** look.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

True, if there are no drips on the ground you should be ok. Keep tabs on it periodically so you can see it progress. Next time use a light coat of Ultra Black RTV on both sides of the gasket and you'll be leak free.

Quick Reply: Diff Leak after service (pics inside)