Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

S60 Rear is HOWLING LOUDLY!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default S60 Rear is HOWLING LOUDLY!!

I picked up my T/A yesterday after it got a custom single 3.5"exhaust. This was the first time that I've driven the car with the S60 under it other than going on and off of a trailer. My buddy had taken the car for a spin when it was at his shop and warned me that the rear has a loud whine. It is 3.73 gear and I bought it used so there was no guarantee on what I was getting. If the rear didn't pop up for cheap I would have bought from Carl as he answered all questions when I was looking. Maybe this is a lesson learned? The internals do look good and it has fresh fluid.

I have a 3.33 gear set (ring and pinion) from a Dana 60 sitting in my shed. Do the experts on here think that swapping to the factory Dana 3.33's might be the cure? Any and all help and insight is appreciated as the noise gets on my last nerve and ruins the driving experience.

Last edited by JosephIV; 04-17-2015 at 08:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is at 90+ views and so far nobody has an opinion? For further info the car is a stock LS1 right now and A4 tranny. I have a forged engine and built 4L80 sitting but I want to get the S60 noise issue solved.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Pop the cover and inspect it. You might be able to adjust the back lash to make it acceptable. I have been all over the 9's and 10's on Dana 60s in my Mopars. Never had an issue with them. If the pattern looks OK maybe you have a posi issue though I doubt it. If I lived close, I'd be happy to give you my opinion after you popped the cover but all I can do from here is be a keyboard warrior.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Pop the cover and inspect it. You might be able to adjust the back lash to make it acceptable. I have been all over the 9's and 10's on Dana 60s in my Mopars. Never had an issue with them. If the pattern looks OK maybe you have a posi issue though I doubt it. If I lived close, I'd be happy to give you my opinion after you popped the cover but all I can do from here is be a keyboard warrior.
Thanks for the response my friend. The cover was off prior to installing it in my old car (never ran it because fuel pump was dead) and it all looked fine to my friend who sets up axles for rock buggies, jeeps, and cars drag racing at MDIR. Unless he missed something which isn't very likely.

Any chance that the wrong fluid could make that much noise?

What about the cut of the gears? I've been in a Mustang with a rear that was this loud but it was a drag car.

It is 35 spline and True Trac. I've had True Tracs before without any problems. That would surprise me. This is my first D60 rear though. If I can't see the issue when the cover comes off again I'll go to the 3.33 gear set.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 62 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like a good plan.

That is a great set up. The 3.33's is what I would do if it was any doubt since you guys already looked at it.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Sounds like a good plan.

That is a great set up. The 3.33's is what I would do if it was any doubt since you guys already looked at it.
Thanks again. I stumbled across the 3.33's out of an older Ford truck and both ring and pinion look mint. A whopping $108 dollars later I had that rare, oddball gear set. Truth be told, I've almost been hoping for an excuse to use them. The car accelerates well with the 3.73 but I doubt the change would be noticeable.

Quick Reply: S60 Rear is HOWLING LOUDLY!!