Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

gear lube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 08:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
That is very good stuff, but, if you are dropping that much coin already, why not just 'step up' to the Severe gear series, or even the Valvoline Synpower which is just as good, if not better??

Like I said before, with my Eaton Posi I ALWAYS had to add 4 ounces even to the Severe Gear which claims to have the FM already in it.

I would put it in and drive it, then IF you get any noise, or clutch/cone pack 'symptoms', add 4 ounces in after.

(IF you definitely have a Torsen T2 in your axle, you should not need any FM, even though the dealers were given a TSB about adding it to these to quell the 'rocks in a box' coast down/off throttle noise.)
There are so many vendors on here who recommend just conventional oil like napa or valvoline, I sometimes wonder why I dropped $17/quart on my schaeffer stuff...
Old 05-27-2015, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by paradigmGT
Took a pic of my rear diff, would you guys be able to tell me if it is a Torsen or Auburn? '99 Camaro SS 6MT, cloth interior but with T-tops.

That's not the cover for an Auburn. It would be a different color (silver) and have vertical ribs on it. I have a '99 SS M6 TTop with the Auburn, performance exhaust and cloth interior. In refreshing my memory, 10% of the '99 SS's came with Auburns, 80% came with TTops. Used Valvoline 80w90 + CRC friction modifier.

Last edited by Firebrian; 05-27-2015 at 09:07 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
There are so many vendors on here who recommend just conventional oil like napa or valvoline, I sometimes wonder why I dropped $17/quart on my schaeffer stuff...
There are also VERY FEW on here who have to drive these cars EVERY day, in ALL conditions, in an area which sees some REAL winter temps.

The costly synthetic stuff just HAS TO flow MUCH MUCH better than the very low VI mineral based gear oils, which WILL turn to jelly at cold temps (they are NOT just for handling the heat/stress/shear).
Old 05-31-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dailydriver
There are also VERY FEW on here who have to drive these cars EVERY day, in ALL conditions, in an area which sees some REAL winter temps.

The costly synthetic stuff just HAS TO flow MUCH MUCH better than the very low VI mineral based gear oils, which WILL turn to jelly at cold temps (they are NOT just for handling the heat/stress/shear).
What are those?
Old 06-02-2015, 05:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
What are those?
YES, EXACTLY!!

Quick Reply: gear lube?