Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ford 8.8 setup for 98-02 fbody anyone selling one

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford 8.8 setup for 98-02 fbody anyone selling one

Looking for a rearend to handle a lil under 1000rwhp thru a t56. Even if anyone has anything that will bolt on and stand up to the power cash in hand tryin to stay away with 9in since there heavy n eat power up 314 77nine six97three. Contact me
Old 05-01-2015, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Why are there so many people with the budget for 1000rwhp, but a tiny budget for supporting mods? A properly build 8.8 may be fine for your application, but I'd vote for a FAB9, lightweight and bulletproof. Make up for the parasitic loss by dumping your clutch at 6000rpms.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:35 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

8.8 uses the exact same bearings as a 12 bolt. Ring gear is same size. Axles are the same spline count.

All the issues that are known with 12 bolts, then people want to go through the headache of trying to manufacture and install a torque arm mount and weld it to a casting that isn't really designed for welding, and guaranteed to distort the pinion bearing area that is crucial for setup.

I can not tell you how many people we have sold 9" rearends to that went through the "I can save a lot of money doing a modified 8.8". The proof is in the pudding.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Had two customers this month give up their 8.8's after spending the money for someone else to build one. Complained about gear noise after some track time and the fact the stock style torque arm bracket makes contact with the underside of the chassis similar to the stamped nine inches on the market.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a 9" for sale in FB yesterday for $2,000. Located in Texas I believe.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssvert99
8.8 uses the exact same bearings as a 12 bolt. Ring gear is same size. Axles are the same spline count.

All the issues that are known with 12 bolts, then people want to go through the headache of trying to manufacture and install a torque arm mount and weld it to a casting that isn't really designed for welding, and guaranteed to distort the pinion bearing area that is crucial for setup.

I can not tell you how many people we have sold 9" rearends to that went through the "I can save a lot of money doing a modified 8.8". The proof is in the pudding.
Good to know. I guess I wont be trying the budget 8.8 rear now.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRENIGAR
Good to know. I guess I wont be trying the budget 8.8 rear now.
There are still people who have them, and honestly if you're running the A4 car in your sig, it *may* be ok. But 1000rwhp is no joke and frankly if I already spent the coin on 1000rwhp and a t-56 that can handle it, I'd want something beefier than a cheap 8.8 under the car.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blackandgold
There are still people who have them, and honestly if you're running the A4 car in your sig, it *may* be ok. But 1000rwhp is no joke and frankly if I already spent the coin on 1000rwhp and a t-56 that can handle it, I'd want something beefier than a cheap 8.8 under the car.
Yes, it would be for the car in my sig. Im guessing high on the # but maybe 600 @ the wheels? Im probably gonna be running MT ET street 2's or Toyo Proxes TQ's in a 315/35/17 tire. Maybe a couple of track passes just to see what it can do but thats it. Just a weekend cruiser.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Had two customers this month give up their 8.8's after spending the money for someone else to build one. Complained about gear noise after some track time and the fact the stock style torque arm bracket makes contact with the underside of the chassis similar to the stamped nine inches on the market.
Good to know. I've been investigating options on mine, though I'm nowhere near 1000 HP. Would love to be, but $$$$. I was giving this serious consideration, but I don't want to do it twice. Guess I'm back in the S60 market
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Good to know. I've been investigating options on mine, though I'm nowhere near 1000 HP. Would love to be, but $$$$. I was giving this serious consideration, but I don't want to do it twice. Guess I'm back in the S60 market
We can get you taken care of on an S60 or we offer a great payment plan option on our fabricated nine inches. You can pay a down payment of $500 to get yourself on the list and pay as you go until you can pay it off.

An this is a true fabricated nine inch were we always offered e-brake brackets, brake line clips/tabs, and sway bar brackets at no extra charge. Not by inflating base price and then saying it is free like others do. All while being cheaper than any other fabricated nine inch on the market.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

One of the huge advantages in my eyes is how MWC mounts the torque arm to the rear. The stock style puts a lot of stress and twist into the housing. Seems the fab rear wants to drive the rear to the ground to put the power to the pavement. I have had the 10 bolt explode, had a stamp 9 inch and sold it and 300 bucks more I had a MWC housing and axl package with a torque arm and mount. Great value and customer service.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:29 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
We can get you taken care of on an S60 or we offer a great payment plan option on our fabricated nine inches. You can pay a down payment of $500 to get yourself on the list and pay as you go until you can pay it off.

An this is a true fabricated nine inch were we always offered e-brake brackets, brake line clips/tabs, and sway bar brackets at no extra charge. Not by inflating base price and then saying it is free like others do. All while being cheaper than any other fabricated nine inch on the market.
PM sent
Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

PM replied.

Pleasure talking to you, if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:27 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Just finished my 8.8 install today. Took 3 days. First day was cleaning the garage, removing the stock 10 bolt, bolting in the 8.8. Which never bolts in when you are also doing LCAs, LCARBs, panhard, weld in sub frames. Then the next day was welding the new torque arm mount to the factory trans crossmember and finishing touches. Had to swap the brakes from the 7.5 to the 8.8 of course. Bleed the brakes, ect. Test drive and find a squealing noise. Then today I take a look and the custom moser axles are ever so long enough to make the rotor hit the caliper bracket. So after all the, I drive it and find a vibration. Set the pinion angle at -2.5. Check the used drive shaft that came with the rear and it had some play in the rear U joint. So, now I have to pull that back out but there is more room to do so than with the stock DS and TQ arm. Another set back was cutting the mounting locations off the TQ arm where it bolted up to the 12 bolt I had in the 89 RS. It had to use the holes that are supposed to be for a 9".

All this was after buying the rear that was supposed to be ready to go for 800$. Then spending the cash to have the 4.30s installed and finding the carrier and bearings are bad. And having the DS fitted with a yoke.

I'm in this thing enough to have waited and got a used 12 bolt. But I can say the carrier is brand new and the bearings. No worries about the 10 bolt breaking when I go play at the track.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ssvert99

This is about how I feel PLUS if you weld 10 bolt axles tubes you are limited on axle size because of the tiny bearing ends. Makes no damn sense to me to half *** it like that.
Old 05-10-2015, 01:28 PM
In-Zane Moderator

My stock 10 bolt tubes welded in to my 8.8 diff has 31 spline. If you need bigger then a "built custom" 8.8 should go out the window anyway.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sorry I'd just prefer 33 or 35 spline. You can get both in a 12 bolt I know for a fact but as your axle gets bigger the meat around the carrier bearing area gets very thin. With bearing IDs being what they are are there are obvious size limitations, axles in particular. Don't most want to keep 31 or smaller spline so they can use a stock ford posi? That seems dumb to me too.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Sorry I'd just prefer 33 or 35 spline. You can get both in a 12 bolt I know for a fact but as your axle gets bigger the meat around the carrier bearing area gets very thin. With bearing IDs being what they are are there are obvious size limitations, axles in particular. Don't most want to keep 31 or smaller spline so they can use a stock ford posi? That seems dumb to me too.
I like the idea of an aftermarket rear that I just flat out can't break, I could dump my clutch as 6k and not tear it up. I wouldn't expect that from an 8.8 with stock ford posi and 31 spline axles. The 8.8 retains the c-clip right?
Old 05-10-2015, 03:08 PM
In-Zane Moderator

The factory 8.8 is C clip. And as I mentioned, if you are pushing any real power and have money invested to do so, why even consider a modded stock 8.8?

I will say, you won't break a 31 spline rear though. Not unless you shake the tires or have a heavy *** ride. My tiny 28 spline stock axles are holding in my 8.8 that is under my 80 mustang. But it is an auto and 2700 pounds.

My 12 bolt I have in the 86 TA was under my 89 RS and I launched the **** out of that with a 6 speed and it never flinched. Never made noise, never did anything but ****** the tires off the ground and go. This 8.8 is simply a elimination of the 7.5 10 bolt and if I ever change my mind from a bolt on car I'll sell it or put it in another mild car.
Old 05-10-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
The factory 8.8 is C clip. And as I mentioned, if you are pushing any real power and have money invested to do so, why even consider a modded stock 8.8?

I will say, you won't break a 31 spline rear though. Not unless you shake the tires or have a heavy *** ride. My tiny 28 spline stock axles are holding in my 8.8 that is under my 80 mustang. But it is an auto and 2700 pounds.

My 12 bolt I have in the 86 TA was under my 89 RS and I launched the **** out of that with a 6 speed and it never flinched. Never made noise, never did anything but ****** the tires off the ground and go. This 8.8 is simply a elimination of the 7.5 10 bolt and if I ever change my mind from a bolt on car I'll sell it or put it in another mild car.
That's a good point, 33 or in my case 35 spline axles are probably way overkill. If you have wheel hop issues I could see possibly snapping a 31 spline, but if you have wheel hop issues you should probably fix those before hammering on your car.

Stolen from an older thread and originally stolen from brutespeed:

Spline Count
Properly sizing your axles can be tricky. Axles too small are prone to breaking, while ones too big eat up power. Fortunately, Moser has a simple formula to help select the right axles. "First multiply your engine's torque by its First gear ratio, its ring-and-pinion ratio, and 0.90 to account for driveline loss," explains Moser. "This will give you a figure that represents the maximum amount of torque transmitted to both axles if you launched at your engine's torque peak and dead-hooked out of the hole. A 30-spline axle is rated at 6,200 lb-ft, a 31-spline at 7,000, a 33-spline at 8,200, a 35-spline at 9,600, and a 40-spline at 12,000. As long as the figure from the formula is smaller than the torque rating of the axle, you'll be in good shape. Since axles are rated individually and not as pairs, sticking with this plan will make it virtually impossible to break an axle since you'll have a safety factor of 200 percent built in."

FORMULA:

Torque at rear axles = Torque x First gear ratio x Rear gear ratio x 0.90

Quick Reply: Ford 8.8 setup for 98-02 fbody anyone selling one