Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Hawks 8.8??

Old 06-15-2015, 08:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
We can get you into that rear end, we can work with you on a payment plan and in no time you could have it payed for. We have done this with multiple customers over the years, it has helped 100's of customers get what they want instead of settling for something lesser.
I will definitely be giving you a call when the time is right to figure it out. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by HISS
Another thing not mentioned with the 8.8. It survives behind fox bodies that run 9's yes but the average fox is at least 500 lbs lighter than the average f body. I think it's a viable option though, especially if it's a streetcar with minimal track duty, and one that's not making a ton of torque.
Spend a little time on the drag racing forums you will hear guys complaining about lack of gear life in an 8.8 once you start breaking that 9 second range. Not uncommon for the constant drag racers to replace ring and pinions more than once a year in an 8.8 and Mustang chassis.

An no one should be spending the time on any aftermarket rear end unless it has the proper ends to eliminate the c-clip axles.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dark SS
I will definitely be giving you a call when the time is right to figure it out. Thanks.
Not a problem, you won't find another paying vendor that tries to help out everyone as much as possible like we do when it comes to purchasing these big ticket items. We all here understand how hard it is to budget in the things you need or want but to try and fit it all in with in a years time is next to impossible.

My shoe string budget is always stretched to the max every year it seems.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spend a little time on the drag racing forums you will hear guys complaining about lack of gear life in an 8.8 once you start breaking that 9 second range. Not uncommon for the constant drag racers to replace ring and pinions more than once a year in an 8.8 and Mustang chassis.

An no one should be spending the time on any aftermarket rear end unless it has the proper ends to eliminate the c-clip axles.
My point. That's why I opted for a 9" even if I never need it its piece of mind knowing it'll handle whatever I can throw at it.
Old 06-15-2015, 10:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't say it has already been done but the chances are yes based off the amount of rear ends we have sold over the years that someone already has this combination and it works just fine.

We have multiple customers with the Kooks true duals running our watts link even with out issue. We actually did a rear end install plus added Kooks true duals for a customer.
Oh.... As of now there is not a lot of clearence between my exhaust and the axle tube. Is the axle tube a lot bigger then the stock 10 bolt?
Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Empatho
Oh.... As of now there is not a lot of clearence between my exhaust and the axle tube. Is the axle tube a lot bigger then the stock 10 bolt?
Yes the axle tube of our fabricated nine inch is bigger than a stock 10-bolt but even then if exhaust is built and fit properly it shouldn't be a problem.

I can't think of an off the shelf exhaust system having a fitment problem with the housing itself even with a back brace for years. Honestly I can't even recall a custom made exhaust that was built before they purchased a housing not fitting.

Generally exhaust fitment issues are with tunnel mount cross members and we have tried to solve this issue for customers with our multiple different tunnel mount torque arm cross members we have available.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default 8.8 vs 12 bolt

All you guys saying a 12 bolt is stronger than a 8.8 are kinda wrong . a 8.8 has a 8.8 ring gear , did you know a 12 bolt also has a 8.8 ring gear also , 8.8 is just as strong as a 12 bolt,and a 8.8 is lighter they actually share some parts like some of the bearings , not sure on the stock axles, but both are very similar in strength. just saying....
Old 07-06-2015, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Seahawkfan
All you guys saying a 12 bolt is stronger than a 8.8 are kinda wrong . a 8.8 has a 8.8 ring gear , did you know a 12 bolt also has a 8.8 ring gear also , 8.8 is just as strong as a 12 bolt,and a 8.8 is lighter they actually share some parts like some of the bearings , not sure on the stock axles, but both are very similar in strength. just saying....
One of the bigger differences is in the TA mount designs, the 12 bolt is eh, but the 8.8 never even had a TA from the factory. Not to mention if you graft the 10 bolt axles onto an 8.8 you have 10 bolt bearings.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Seahawkfan
But you can purchase a 12-bolt housing with the provisions for a torque arm instead of the HUGE amount of added weight I see in some of these 8.8 conversions.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackandgold
One of the bigger differences is in the TA mount designs, the 12 bolt is eh, but the 8.8 never even had a TA from the factory. Not to mention if you graft the 10 bolt axles onto an 8.8 you have 10 bolt bearings.
I sure hope anyone spending the time to build a rear end is putting good ends on and eliminating the c-clips. Most tracks require some type of C-Clip eliminator and sticky tires.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I sure hope anyone spending the time to build a rear end is putting good ends on and eliminating the c-clips. Most tracks require some type of C-Clip eliminator and sticky tires.
Nope, they aren't. Some people only see one end of the equation.
Old 07-06-2015, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Nope, they aren't. Some people only see one end of the equation.
Well I hope reading this we can help people understand that having C-Clips with stock axles is not getting rid of the weak link.

Reminder why you want to get rid of the C-Clips. All though a disc brake will hold it in but will still puke fluid from axle flop.

Also for your average street car C-Clip eliminators are prone to leak over time.

Last edited by MidwestChassis2; 07-06-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hawks 8.8??