Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 12 bolt axle short register problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 08:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Moser 12 bolt axle short register problems

I posted in someone else's thread but after my trial and error I believe I have enough for a separate thread. I am not knocking Moser's warranty or customer service to there direct customers for I bought my 12 bolt used. It is a complete set up from Moser with a trutrac and 4.10:1 ring and pinion and 33 spline axles. The gear howl sucks but that may be from improper break in. The biggest problem however is the short register that normally centers the wheels on a F-body. when I had the stock wheels and tires on the car I drove it and it was good to go. (acorn lug nuts) That only lasted until I brought the car up on the 2 step and side stepped the clutch at 3200RPM. I started shaking like crazy. I put the car on a lift and ran it in 6th gear and the wheels obviously lost there center. I then loosened everything, recentered them and torqued to factory specs to make sure though this has never been a problem with the other thousand wheels I have installed. it drove fine again for a while until I launched it on the 2 step again. At this point I called a Moser tech and he informed me that Camaros were not hub-centric.(they are) At that point I knew they would be no help. I then ordered a set of Racestar wheels and tires with shank lug nuts and centric hub adapters for GM axles. I got the same results with the shank style setup. I decided at that point to have sume slugs machined to extend the registers to center the wheels and see what that does. I welded them on today and will post my results. From what I understand, Strange has started machining there axles with the longer register and it is doing well. I installed wheel studs and bolted the axle to wheel for mock up and I notice that the shanks on the lug nuts Racestar sent me aren't even close to being a tight enough fit in the wheel to make it lug-centric.

Last edited by codyvette; 07-01-2015 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 08:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

in for your results from this .
Old 07-02-2015, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Strange has had a long center register on their f-body axles for years.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry. I wasn't sure about that and meant to state the fact I was ignorant on the subject but forgot. I know now, thanks.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same short register on both my 12 bolts. I haven't had any vibration problems and I haven't launched the car hard, but I did notice it and wasn't very comfortable with the condition, but didn't really have any other option.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

That went over like a lead balloon. The axles broke where they were welded up. I am not a metal expert but I have a lot of experience welding. I guess the axles are made of a metal that would have to be preheated in a certain procedure. I looks like I will be contacting a vendor for some new axles. I am so sick of this **** I could run this car in the river.
Old 07-05-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
That went over like a lead balloon. The axles broke where they were welded up. I am not a metal expert but I have a lot of experience welding. I guess the axles are made of a metal that would have to be preheated in a certain procedure. I looks like I will be contacting a vendor for some new axles. I am so sick of this **** I could run this car in the river.
the axles are likely 4140, which is about 1% chrome, 0.2% moly, and 0.4% carbon. With that carbon equivalent you would need significant pre heat and post heat to get a good weld. At the mill we have to post heat after cold shearing to keep the ends from splitting.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:37 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Strange Axles I got for my 12-Bolt have a flat face and use a bolt on aluminum register which is about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. I believe they are the S/S Series.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss1
The Strange Axles I got for my 12-Bolt have a flat face and use a bolt on aluminum register which is about 3/8" to 1/2" thick. I believe they are the S/S Series.
Sounds like a hell of an idea. Thanks
Old 07-09-2015, 03:53 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Here's a better idea of what I was talking about. The register is aluminum and has a countersunk hole in the center. The axle is tapped very shallow to accommodate roughly a 1/4" flat head allen head screw to hold the register on. The decal covers the screw after the register is installed.

Old 07-10-2015, 07:18 AM
TECH Resident

Looking at the picture, this will not work. The register would need to be almost 2" thick (long) to extend into the wheel. It could be remedied easier than the Moser axles though.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:42 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

I think all you would need to do is machine some longer registers on a lathe and bolt them on to the end of the axles?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

If I can't get them longer from Strange, I will. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Default Bad news update

Strange just informed me that their 33 spline axles will NOT engage the trutrac posi unit.

Moser sucks for this application. I will have to change to a lug centric wheels or sell this 12 bolt to someone who has lug centric wheels. This really has me discouraged.
Old 07-15-2015, 08:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

What about drilling and tapping a hole in the center of the hub and making a bolt on register? You could machine a small locating grove in the existing register and machine the extension to lock into that, so the bolt is only holding the extension on, not the load. Either that or talk to moser about making a set with longer registers.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

The axles are hardened steel. I don't think they can be machined. Moser has been zero help from the beginning. I can't bitch though for I bought the rear used. One of there techs told me that F bodies are lug-centric from the factory. They are hub-centric.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm pretty sure it's the wheel design that dictates hub or lugcentric, not the car.
Old 07-17-2015, 11:09 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If the rearend is made a a bolt-in replacement to be used with factory brakes, then the brake register(hub) should be the same dimensions as stock. Strange has it figured out...

Give us a call and we will be glad to help on replacement axles or rearends.
Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Rob WS6
I'm pretty sure it's the wheel design that dictates hub or lugcentric, not the car.
Yes. Some wheels are lug-centric and some are hub-centric. The point is if a company is going to build a complete rear axle for stock replacement then it should (IMO) acomadate what the factory piece did. IE, hub-centric wheels. I also think Racestar should build there wheels with smaller diameter lug nuts holes to make them lug-centric. Racestar never claimed to be a factory replacement part though, unlike the Moser rear end. Hub and lug centric together make a pretty bullet proof set up. This was clearly an oversight by Moser that would be an extremely easy fix. Oh well, moving back to Strange.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:28 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
The axles are hardened steel. I don't think they can be machined.
Right again! It's like trying to drill drill-bits. The axles will be a little softer, but not by much. The manufacturers do all the machine work first, then harden them

Quick Reply: Moser 12 bolt axle short register problems