Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rhytmic sounds. Ommm...Ommm...Ommm....

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Rhytmic sounds. Ommm...Ommm...Ommm....

Okay I have the rhythmic noise from the rear at cruising speed that increase frequency as speed increases. I do have a MWC fab9 with adjustable TA and I also replaced the u-joints about a year ago.

Is this noise absolutely the result of DS angle? Or can it be attributed to joints as well? Seems like this just started out of nowhere with no other obvious red flags.

Thanks
Bill
Old 07-17-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Does it change with a gear change? Does it change during acceleration or deceleration?
Old 07-17-2015, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Commonly referred to as "driveline drone". It is usually from imbalance of rotating parts, or a failed u joint, or improper angles causing harmonics. Rare occasion for something like a pinion bearing failure but not as common as driveline issues. Aluminum and carbon driveshafts tend to reduce the harmonics due to their increased critical speeds of the material.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Does it change with a gear change? Does it change during acceleration or deceleration?
No gear change. Only when speeding up or slowing down.

Originally Posted by ssvert99
Commonly referred to as "driveline drone". It is usually from imbalance of rotating parts, or a failed u joint, or improper angles causing harmonics. Rare occasion for something like a pinion bearing failure but not as common as driveline issues. Aluminum and carbon driveshafts tend to reduce the harmonics due to their increased critical speeds of the material.
Thanks Eric,
I will go under and check the DS angles.
Old 07-19-2015, 08:15 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Typically driveline angles will present either when speeding up or slowing down. One would be better than the other. If you still have the steel driveshaft, going to aluminum will help by moving the harmonic frequency to a different speed range. Carbon fiber will move it even further.

Quick Reply: Rhytmic sounds. Ommm...Ommm...Ommm....