Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end axle housing end nicks and gouge

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 12:04 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end axle housing end nicks and gouge

I have a burkhart fab9 that is shortened 3" per side and it was set up for stock rear brakes. The thing is beautiful, but my rear end shop who built the third member and pressed axle bearing and assembled screwed up. I had to pull my axles to install a spacer behind the bearings to switch to aerospace drag brakes and the driver side axle bearing separated. The tapered bearing race stayed in the housing end. It took forever to get it out and finally used a bearing remover and slide hammer. Now that the race is out I can see scratches and a gouge in the housing end inside. Can I smooth these out and use rtv to install the axle with brand new bearings and seals since it is a tapered bearing and the race will be smooth inside? If this is an option I should just ensure the race is tight enough in the housing end that it doesn't easily turn I would assume and I have no leaks. My other option is a new housing end, but I would like to avoid this if at all possible. What are your thoughts race guys who are smarter than me.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Just to be fair so there is no confusion. Burkhart chassis did not nick or gouge anything. They shipped me a perfect piece. The rear ended shop out here did final assembly as they rebuilt my third member and I think that is where the fault lies.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it that the tapered bearing outer race stayed in the axle housing? Bearing installed backwards?
Old 08-08-2015, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Not installed backwards. Tapered race goes in before bearing. From strange engineering they ship as one piece. Not sure why they stayed other than I'm assuming maybe the rear ended shop didn't install straight or something. I got it all cleaned up with a light sandpaper wheel in my dremel and used a touch of job weld in the one gouge then sanded it to smooth surface once it had cured. It is back to an almost factory finish and the new bearing/ race fits snug so I guess I will go get the axle restacked with bearings again this week.

Quick Reply: Rear end axle housing end nicks and gouge