Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

huge rearend problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default huge rearend problem

ok so I just got the car rage and insured and stuff. So this was going to be the first time I've drove the car worry free. anyways I was driving it and I'd come to a stop and go but after every time I left I heard some popping noise. Didn't think anything of it until I drove it about 5 miles and BOOM I hear something pop in the rear end so i pulled over and checked it out. It look like where the front of the housing was was smoking really bad. after that I realized the rearend didn't have any lub because it was drained... I tried moving the car but the rearend is locked up.

car I somehow unlock it? or would I just have to buy a new rearend or replace the gears?
Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Hard to say if it can be unlocked but probably not. Pull the cover off and see what is going on.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Hard to say if it can be unlocked but probably not. Pull the cover off and see what is going on.

It's on the side of the highway right now, once I get it home I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: huge rearend problem