Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Want to run 30" tires, how much can I take off axles with my set up

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Want to run 30" tires, how much can I take off axles with my set up

Heres the set up. Wolfe mini tubs, Wolfe adjustable spring mount and 2.5" springs, MWC offset LCAs, E brakes have been removed, stock length Moser 9" rear, 15x10 Welds with stock 7.5" BS, 325/50R15 DRs and still have a couple inches left over from tire to mini tub.

I don't really like how the outside of the tire is even with the fender. The tire has actually hit the fender a few times. I'd also like the deepest dish on the wheels I can get. What do I have to do to pull the wheels and tires in just right to get a 30" tire to tuck? What is the most I can take off from each side to get the deepest offset on the wheels? What offset on new wheels should I get?

I did all the fabrication putting in the minitubs and all the suspension so if I have to do more fabrication that fine with me. I have all the tools and equipment necessary.

Name:  temporary_zpsf4dab672.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  189.7 KB

Name:  IMAG0108_zpslzpm4mre.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  226.0 KB
Old 08-17-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

The only person that can answer these questions is you with plumb bobs, straight edges, and a tape measure. You need to make sure before you go cutting on your rear end that you find wheels you like in the proper backspacing as this will also determine how much per side you narrow your housing.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Jc803
Heres the set up. Wolfe mini tubs, Wolfe adjustable spring mount and 2.5" springs, MWC offset LCAs, E brakes have been removed, stock length Moser 9" rear, 15x10 Welds with stock 7.5" BS, 325/50R15 DRs and still have a couple inches left over from tire to mini tub.

I don't really like how the outside of the tire is even with the fender. The tire has actually hit the fender a few times. I'd also like the deepest dish on the wheels I can get. What do I have to do to pull the wheels and tires in just right to get a 30" tire to tuck? What is the most I can take off from each side to get the deepest offset on the wheels? What offset on new wheels should I get?

I did all the fabrication putting in the minitubs and all the suspension so if I have to do more fabrication that fine with me. I have all the tools and equipment necessary.

I had 15x10 Weld wheels with a 6.5" backspace and 325/50R15 tires with a Moser M9 shortened one inch each side, this was with the stock wheelwells. Scaling what I did in further with your mini tubs, it looks like you could go with a 5.5" backspace for the wheels and shorten the rear 2.0" each side. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-18-2015, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info. So here is my other question. As you can see from the picture I have about 2.5" from the tire to mini tubs, and I want to pull the whole thing in more to get it off the outer fender. Do you think pulling the tire in 1" would be just enough or too much and it look weird.

And if the rear is shortened 3" per side for example, then that would mean I would need a 4.5" BS on the wheels normally (7.5"-3"=4.5"). But if I would want to pull the tires in 1" then I would need a 5.5" BS, is this correct? And with my 2.5" of room between tire and mini tub on the inside it would reduce to 1.5" so I would still be fine?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

The easiest way I can answer your questions with out adding confusion is to purchase the wheels/tires with the backspacing you want for looks and then place them under the rear of the vehicle how you want them to sit and take measurement from side to side and narrow your rear end to achieve that measurement.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
The easiest way I can answer your questions with out adding confusion is to purchase the wheels/tires with the backspacing you want for looks and then place them under the rear of the vehicle how you want them to sit and take measurement from side to side and narrow your rear end to achieve that measurement.
^ This is the correct way to accomplish what You are wanting. ^

Carl

Quick Reply: Want to run 30" tires, how much can I take off axles with my set up