Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New 9" or S60, questions about wheel studs

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New 9" or S60, questions about wheel studs

Broke my 10 bolt, and as I get ready to purchase a 9" or s60 (leaning towards the Dana), I was informed that sticking with the stock acorn style lug on the standard 12mm wheel stud wasn't smart.

As I have c5 zo6 replica wheels with acorn style lugs, these don't accomodate shank style lugs, so would I be ok just going with strange 1/2" wheel studs for a car that makes 550rwhp on DR's, or do I need to go ahead and take the plunge and narrow the rear, and change to a rear drag wheel that allows for shank style lugs?

Thank you for the advice, just wanting to avoid shearing any studs off during hard launches on the street or the rare trip to the track.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

With our fabricated nine inch we haven't sold one with 12mm studs in a very long time. Half inch studs are 40% stronger according to Strange over the 12mm. You can however still run a acorn style lug nuts with no problem you just have to purchase the correct ones. We keep lug nuts in stock for this exact reason for our rear end customers.

If you have questions on the S60 or the best fabricated nine inch on the market give us a call we always have the best knowledge and prices and will be more than happy to take care of you.

(309)382-6252 Midwest Chassis
Old 10-22-2015, 09:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If you can swing it, I would get a MWC 9inch over a dana s60. The dana is a very heavy unit compared to a MWC 9inch housing. I have had both in my car and the MWC unit is well worth the extra money. I like the fact that you can can get a complete package with the trq arm, anti roll, complete rearend, and everything you need to get into the car without many issues.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:20 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Squirts11
Broke my 10 bolt, and as I get ready to purchase a 9" or s60 (leaning towards the Dana), I was informed that sticking with the stock acorn style lug on the standard 12mm wheel stud wasn't smart.

As I have c5 zo6 replica wheels with acorn style lugs, these don't accomodate shank style lugs, so would I be ok just going with strange 1/2" wheel studs for a car that makes 550rwhp on DR's, or do I need to go ahead and take the plunge and narrow the rear, and change to a rear drag wheel that allows for shank style lugs?

Thank you for the advice, just wanting to avoid shearing any studs off during hard launches on the street or the rare trip to the track.

By all means if you have the option go with the biggest studs that will work for your particular wheels.

Almost all factory type wheels will accept a 1/2" stud and do the job for your needs. Shank lug type wheels will use the same stud also so if you decide to opt for a different set of wheels with race tires or something it's as easy as different lug nuts.

Give us a call... as you can tell MWC has all the right parts, best prices, and best tech help available. We are here to help and look forward to hearing from you!
Old 10-22-2015, 12:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I have c5 zo6 replica wheels with acorn style lugs, these don't accomodate shank style lugs, so would I be ok just going with strange 1/2" wheel studs for a car that makes 550rwhp on DR's, or do I need to go

ahead and take the plunge and narrow the rear, and change to a rear drag wheel that allows for shank style lugs?

Go with the S60! I have it in both my cars...1 auto, 1 stick... love it!
It feels soo much more rigid than that pos 10 bolboo
Old 10-22-2015, 01:23 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Thanks for the order on the S60 it was a pleasure doing business with you.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

With stock length rear and 1/2" studs 2" long, will I be able to run 1/4" spacer if needed? Are the studs long enough for this to be considered safe practice?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

With stock length rear and 1/2" studs 2" long, will I be able to run 1/4" spacer if needed? Are the studs long enough for this to be considered safe practice?
It is never recommended to run any spacers however if it is enough stud length really depends on the thickness of the wheels you are using. Some wheels it could be enough and others it won't be enough.

If you are running a 1/2 stud you need at least 1/2 of engagement. If you can not get that engagement they do offer a extended thread type nut. However I've never used them before.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Banned

Glad u went S60... u'll be much happy!

Quick Reply: New 9" or S60, questions about wheel studs