Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Odd noise from rear

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Odd noise from rear

Just noticed on my way home today that I've got an odd, somewhat rhythmic noise coming from the rear of the car. It sounds like sand hitting a sheet of metal. I only hear it above 25 mph, and it happens inconsistently until I get to about 70, then it gets noticeably louder and seems to happen almost non-stop.

Car still runs and drives fine. Was thinking of pulling the cover off come Tuesday and seeing how much metal is on the magnet.

Anyone have any ideas? I can take a vid tomorrow and post it up.
Old 10-27-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I haven't been able to take a video of the car in the air with the engine running (want a second person for safety) but I did see if maybe I could spin one of the tires fast enough to reproduce the noise. Then I noticed that no matter how much I spun one tire, the other one didn't spin at all.

I thought torsens acted as an open rear when the car was in the air, and the opposing tire spun in the opposite direction?

Here's a vid:

Edit: Nevermind... I am dumb lol. I'm not super knowledgable about rears and how differentials work and I didn't realize that spinning the wheels in neutral only spins one wheel. *facepalm*

Last edited by HappySalesman; 10-27-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Have you checked your brakes and made sure you don't have a warped rotor?
Old 10-29-2015, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

So took the car to a shop today, and lo and behold the ticking magically went away -_-

Did find out that my axles/axle bearings need replacing, so that'll be a fun project for a weekend. Anyone know roughly how much space is needed to pull the axles out of the shafts? My garage is pretty narrow.

Also, I haven't checked the rotors, but when I do the axles I'll check the rotors and have them replaced/cut.

Has anyone ever tried the 'bearing and seal upgrade' that Hawks third gen has? It any good/worth it?

Last edited by HappySalesman; 10-30-2015 at 02:40 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
Anyone know roughly how much space is needed to pull the axles out of the shafts? My garage is pretty narrow.

Homeowners Association rules won't let you work in the driveway, or street, like mine does??

Or is it just the cold you're trying to avoid?
Old 11-01-2015, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

It's an apartment, but basically yeah. I'm thinking of throwing the rear wheels on a couple of dollies, doing one side, then pushing it to the other side of the garage and doing the other lol.

Quick Reply: Odd noise from rear