Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 bolt c-clip

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 bolt c-clip

I've had a rear wheel bearing go bad on my 2001 Formula. It's a bone stock M6 car with traction control.

I've pulled the cover, wheel, and brakes but can't for the life of me get the c-clip off of the shaft. I have the wheel sensor pulled so the shaft can push in all of the way but it still doesn't seem to clear to get the clip out. When I try to get my snap ring pliers on it, it slides back up into the side gear. There has to be some sort of trick to this, but I can't seem to find it in any

of my searches. Any pointers would be appreciated.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have some one push in on the axle while I fish it out. The axle being pushed hard will usually allow you to get it pretty easily
Old 11-15-2015, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

rotate shaft till 'horseshoe' opening is away from you,magnet typically then pulls it out.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

I actually have the axle pulled in what I think is all the way with a ratchet strap. Is there any way to gain a tad more besides pulling the wheel sensor?
Old 11-15-2015, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did this yesterday, and also found that the C clip was tight even when pushing in on the axle. Not like the old days when they just fell out.

I picked the C clip out with a small flat pocket screwdriver.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by eseibel67
Did this yesterday, and also found that the C clip was tight even when pushing in on the axle. Not like the old days when they just fell out.

I picked the C clip out with a small flat pocket screwdriver.
I finally had enough for the day. I'll try a small screwdriver tomorrow evening. Thanks
Old 11-15-2015, 10:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relax and try again man. Pull the shaft out, rotate and try pushing it back in. Keep repeating until success. I've had times where they come right apart and the c-clip comes right out and others to where you have to fight with them over and over. I don't know why.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

I hit it with a hammer (the axle) and push the axle in with everything i had (I'm heavy) and someone else got the clip for me. It took me pushing in on it and cursing my brains out saying it's not going to go any further before I was mad enough to make it go in enough and it laid out. So much fun
Old 11-16-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Wow, ive never had that kinda trouble. You dont need pliers either, just a pen magnet.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

Important question,have the axle bearings ever been replaced and if so,were 'axle saver bearings' used ?
Old 11-16-2015, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

I would go ah and replace the axle bearings while you're in there. Put some good ones in. Tools can be rented from auto parts then they give money back to you when you return it
Old 11-16-2015, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Still no luck. I just can't seem to get enough slack to get the clip out. At best I can get the VERY tip of a pocket screwdriver in-between the clip and side gear. I've even pulled the bearing caps to see if there are a lot of pre-load shims on that side causing the carrier to be too far over. Everything looks fine.

The car has 140k on it, but I'm not sure if they are stock bearings. I thought about that as well. The car has been very well maintained and it shows.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:12 PM
TECH Resident

Use a ***** with a hook
Old 11-16-2015, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mappinsj
Use a ***** with a hook
I've tried every tool in the box with no luck. It's something stupid that will **** me off once I figure it out.........
Old 11-25-2015, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FirstYrLS1Z
Important question,have the axle bearings ever been replaced and if so,were 'axle saver bearings' used ?
After fighting to get the passenger side out, I can't get the drivers side out either. I just can't get them to slide in far enough. Another 1/32 or 1/16 would do it.
After looking at the hubs some more, I'm beginning the bearings have been replaced with the "axle saver" bearings in the past. I also noticed that one of the clips have been tapped on at some point, which leads me to believe they were tough to get in.
Take a look at this picture and tell me whether it's the bearing race sticking out of the axle tube a tad. If it is, and ideas on what can be done?

Old 11-25-2015, 06:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Ive never seen an axle saver but that looks different then regular axles ive seen so between that and the fact that you're having so much trouble id say that's your problem.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Ive never seen an axle saver but that looks different then regular axles ive seen so between that and the fact that you're having so much trouble id say that's your problem.
From what I've seen, they are wider and catch the shaft at a different spot to get away from the groove. Half *** repair is what it is. I'll end up having to cut something but don't know what. It will be getting new shafts either way.
I'm bolting it back together now, so I can get it off my lift as I have another repairing need to do on something else.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I just did this yesterday to mine. Mine had the axle savers, what I ended up doing was getting a big pry bar, hooking it on the lip of the axle end and gently prying on it. Pulled it in enough (just barely) to get the clips out.

But yeah, if you're careful to not start a fire, cutting is potentially an option as well.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HappySalesman
I just did this yesterday to mine. Mine had the axle savers, what I ended up doing was getting a big pry bar, hooking it on the lip of the axle end and gently prying on it. Pulled it in enough (just barely) to get the clips out.

But yeah, if you're careful to not start a fire, cutting is potentially an option as well.
I tried this with a 24" pry bar but couldn't quite get it. I was afraid I'd damage a side gear if I went any further.
On a side note, I was at the salvage yard today and looked at a couple of f-body rear ends. Compared to them, I definetly have the axle saver bearings.
I'm not going to tear mine back down until I get some new axle shafts. Then I'll either grind the clips or try some more prying. If this were a race car, I'd be doing an axle swap by now.....
Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Just use a c-clamp to draw the axle in and then use a magnet and it should come out like butter. No need for a pry bar.

Quick Reply: 10 bolt c-clip