Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Mysterious knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mysterious knocking sound

Hey guys. My 2002 ss has recently started making a knocking sound that seems to be coming from the driver side rear wheel. The knocking isn't noticeable at slow speeds, increases in volume under slight acceleration and stays at a consistent loud volume until I let off the throttle. Under deceleration and cruising in neutral, it is significantly quieter but it is still noticeable.
Originally I thought it was the diff so I changed the fluid, and the sound initially went away. However after about 15 minutes, it came back but overall quieter.
So now I'm thinking its a wheel/axel bearing
Any thoughts on what else it could be?

Thanks!
Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever find the issue? Mine is experiencing a similar problem but just the opposite. Knocking/clicking noise while decelerating in gear or neutral. Under light acceleration or even WOT there is no noise at all. The speed of the noise is directly related to the speed of the car on decel also. The faster Im going the faster the noise. As I slow down and come to a stop the noise slows down as well. Im almost at a loss on my end and want to rip the whole damn rear end out of the car and throw it in the creek behind my house.

Quick Reply: Mysterious knocking sound