Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What is the best rear end

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is the best rear end

Looking at all options but leaning towards a 9in. What do you guys recommend (brand, style, options, vendor, etc,etc...)

Vehicle is a built procharged 01 ss.. Please let me know any and all advice is much appreciated! Thanks
Old 01-07-2016, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of transmission?
12 bolt is great
S60 is great
9in are lovely as well
Old 01-07-2016, 01:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got an S60. I like it. I choose 3.73. If you go with an S60, just remember to cut the mounting bracket if you have an aftermarket TQ-arm. Otherwise you will hit the wall of your tunnel.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:08 AM
Staging Lane

Trans is a 6 speed manual.. Car is roughly 575- 620hp.. I also want it to be as close as it can be to a stock replacement, minimal if an modifications to install. I already have bmr suspension so I would like to keep that if possible.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a strange 12 bolt eaton posi and i like it. It goes in with no problems just change the ujoint or buy a new drive shaft.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by kmeyer17
Trans is a 6 speed manual.. Car is roughly 575- 620hp.. I also want it to be as close as it can be to a stock replacement, minimal if an modifications to install. I already have bmr suspension so I would like to keep that if possible.
Well if that's the case you are talking about the Midwest Chassis nine inch.

The MWC true fabricated rearend housing features components such as a drain plug, 5 hole relocator style lca brackets, stock style anti-sway bar mounts, brake line clips, and chassis brake hose mounting bracket. 98-02 applications also include brake hose mounts and e-brake cable brackets. These features are all standard equipment at no extra charge. Other manufacturers don't even offer some of these items that make it a true bolt-in.

We make the install easy because we do installs in house and understand what it takes to remove a stock rear end and put an aftermarket one in it's place. This is why it has all the small brackets and hardware no one else offers.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me or give us a call at (309)382-6252
Old 01-07-2016, 08:08 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Strange 12 bolt here. Had it in my car since 2002. Its 100% silent and all I had to do so far is replace the passengers side axle seal......in 13 years.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Strange 12 bolt here too. If you're looking for security and reliability it will fit the bill if you arent planning on completely punishing the car at the drag strip with full on clutch drop launches. If thats the case id go 9 inch instead.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Looking at all options but leaning towards a 9in. What do you guys recommend (brand, style, options, vendor, etc,etc...)

Vehicle is a built procharged 01 ss.. Please let me know any and all advice is much appreciated! Thanks
http://shop.brutespeed.com/Complete-Rear-Ends_c1106.htm

Take a look at my Moser rears which are on sale through Jan 15th. Non powdercoated Moser rears ship out just two days after the order is placed. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-07-2016, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Well if that's the case you are talking about the Midwest Chassis nine inch.

The MWC true fabricated rearend housing features components such as a drain plug, 5 hole relocator style lca brackets, stock style anti-sway bar mounts, brake line clips, and chassis brake hose mounting bracket. 98-02 applications also include brake hose mounts and e-brake cable brackets. These features are all standard equipment at no extra charge. Other manufacturers don't even offer some of these items that make it a true bolt-in.

We make the install easy because we do installs in house and understand what it takes to remove a stock rear end and put an aftermarket one in it's place. This is why it has all the small brackets and hardware no one else offers.

If you have any questions please feel free to message me or give us a call at (309)382-6252
Sent pm..
Old 01-07-2016, 09:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Midwest chassis rear is a no brainer!
Old 01-07-2016, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_539498.html
Old 01-07-2016, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

^ lol what has this site become? Someone posts something about wanting some info on rears and it becomes a slug fest of who can advertise the best...
He wants to know what will work the best, not a sales pitch.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Launching!

I'll help you out this is what I looked at before I bought mine.

S60 = 9.75" Ring Gear, Super Strong, Heavy as ****, Completely Over Kill, 3-5% parasitic loss, Not as easy to service/rebuild, Limited gear ratios, Great budget rear end if you don't mind the weight, Think I read they can be bought to bolt right in from certain sponsors.

FAB 9"= 9 " Ring Gear, Very Strong (back braced), Can be built lighter than a 10 bolt, 3-5% parasitic loss, insanely easy to service/rebuild, Insane amount of gear ratios you can run, Literally will bolt right in with everything already on it, No headaches with brackets and ****, Really the only con is the parasitic loss. You get what you pay for with this rear end.

Regular 9 " = 9" Ring Gear, Strong, Heavy, 3-5% parasitic loss, easy to service/rebuild, Not worth it when you can buy an S60 (debatable).

12 bolt = 8.875" Ring Gear, Can be built Strong, Lighter than Regular 9" or Heavy *** S60, Less parasitic loss than the others I listed, Not as easy to service/rebuild, Are prone to whining (highly debatable), Can be had for good price, Automatic guys seem to like them a lot, manual guys seem to steer away from them a lot.

It is really really hard to beat a FAB 9" if you have the money and don't want to waste your time debating about the others… like I just did…
Old 01-08-2016, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Just went thru this process... Sent you PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running a Moser 9". Yes it's heavy but it bolted right in with the UMI tunnel mount torque arm. Opted for the lca relo kit and drain and fill plugs. Can be had for much cheaper with the spool option.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Good overall summary by txz28, looks pretty accurate.

Originally Posted by topgun542
^ lol what has this site become? Someone posts something about wanting some info on rears and it becomes a slug fest of who can advertise the best...
He wants to know what will work the best, not a sales pitch.
Any one of those vendors sells just about every bolt in rear end option available. When/if he called, they would discuss his options and make a recommendation. They also pay to advertise here. Not sure why you cant grasp this simple concept.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
I'll help you out this is what I looked at before I bought mine.

S60 = 9.75" Ring Gear, Super Strong, Heavy as ****, Completely Over Kill, 3-5% parasitic loss, Not as easy to service/rebuild, Limited gear ratios, Great budget rear end if you don't mind the weight, Think I read they can be bought to bolt right in from certain sponsors.

FAB 9"= 9 " Ring Gear, Very Strong (back braced), Can be built lighter than a 10 bolt, 3-5% parasitic loss, insanely easy to service/rebuild, Insane amount of gear ratios you can run, Literally will bolt right in with everything already on it, No headaches with brackets and ****, Really the only con is the parasitic loss. You get what you pay for with this rear end.

Regular 9 " = 9" Ring Gear, Strong, Heavy, 3-5% parasitic loss, easy to service/rebuild, Not worth it when you can buy an S60 (debatable).

12 bolt = 8.875" Ring Gear, Can be built Strong, Lighter than Regular 9" or Heavy *** S60, Less parasitic loss than the others I listed, Not as easy to service/rebuild, Are prone to whining (highly debatable), Can be had for good price, Automatic guys seem to like them a lot, manual guys seem to steer away from them a lot.

It is really really hard to beat a FAB 9" if you have the money and don't want to waste your time debating about the others… like I just did…
This is good info...
Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Good overall summary by txz28, looks pretty accurate.

Any one of those vendors sells just about every bolt in rear end option available. When/if he called, they would discuss his options and make a recommendation. They also pay to advertise here. Not sure why you cant grasp this simple concept.
Exactly, A simple give us a call and we can explain. Not a thread filled with every rear manufacturer of every rear end hounding them about there product... Obviously each company is going to try and sell there product. Gets old when every thread is like this.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I apologize if my post came off as a sales pitch. We do try to offer more than just a link to our product and I feel I mentioned some valuable information about what comes with our rear end that other manufactures don't offer.

It is easier to give good details over a phone conversation. This is why we still do rear end orders over the phone and not with drop down boxes. There are so many available options out there it is very important for us to understand what you are doing with your vehicle. This is why we still offer Strange and Moser products and not just our fabricated housing that is built in house.

Again sorry if my reply came off as a sales pitch but like 01ssreda4 mentioned vendors are here to not only give advice but display their product for sales. It isn't very cheap to be a vendor on here and vendors are what keeps sites like this going.
Old 01-08-2016, 04:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It's much harder to take all the time to add all the parts to the website, it'd be easier to tell people to call, but I prefer to have my prices displayed on my website (along with all the drop down boxes), so people don't have to call and talk to a salesman if they do not want to. It's great if they do want to call, but a lot of people do their own homework and want to know what the price is without having to call. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: What is the best rear end