Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" bearing not fully seated with pic

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 9" bearing not fully seated with pic

I have a quick time performance rear end with moser axles for a 2001 camaro. The rear end looks great! My question is...is it normal for the bearings to not seat flush with the end of the housing? If I was to start mounting the back plates it would press up against the bearing. Could the axles be too long? I did just read from brutespeed's site that there are different axle lengths needed depending on whether you got a Detroit locker, spool, etc. I never said what kind of differential I got so I guess I just got the standard length axles???
Old 01-17-2016, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put mine in my trick chassis rear with spool. My bearings went completely in. Your rubber oring seal doesn't even look like it's going to seal.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jblankenship
I just put mine in my trick chassis rear with spool. My bearings went completely in. Your rubber oring seal doesn't even look like it's going to seal.
I just tapped the axle with a rubber hammer and the seal did go completely in but still some of the bearing sticks out. I'm not sure if it's ok to have the back plate pressed up against the bearing when I bolt them in.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If you google search it seems to be common. Are both axles this way? If so I would pull one out put a dab of grease on the end. Put it in again and pull it out and see if the grease transfers to the other axle. What are you using a spool or what?
Old 01-17-2016, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I'm running a spool and had 1.5" of engagement on both axles.

Quick Reply: 9" bearing not fully seated with pic