Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Is it possible to buy a new rear for $2500?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Well I can't swing a $4000 rear, so you're still looking good in my book.
Our fabricated rear end with a torque arm isn't $4000, unless you decided to go on an option spending spree. We are also direct with Moser and Strange and have extremely competitive pricing.

Base package shipped with a torque arm and crossmember is $2999. If you spent $2500 on a moser stamped nine inch or even purchase a S60 then added in the cost for a torque arm and crossmember at $400 plus you just spent the same amount of money or more.

Minus the fact at the $2500 you are getting a differential that is prone for having issues. The person trying to sell it to you even states he has had a few problems with them.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Minus the fact at the $2500 you are getting a differential that is prone for having issues. The person trying to sell it to you even states he has had a few problems with them.
Have you ever had a brand of differential that hasn't broken for someone, somewhere? I haven't, and I highly doubt you haven't either. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 02-03-2016, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lucky Americans getting things for the actual price not practically paying double by the time you factor in shipping like poor Canadians.

If you're able to get a fabricated rear for around $3k with the torque arm I'd say go for it. You're going to have to spend that 500 dollars on a torque arm regardless if you're currently using the stocker.

I priced out a rear from every one of these vendors and just couldn't stomach the final price. *with the way the Canadian dollar is* so I opted for a seasoned rear (which I traveled 21 hours one way to get) I was also looking into the base packages with spool, because why would I want to put a differential that can potentially break or wear out in something I don't ever want to touch again? And If anyone tries to spoon feed you the idea that a spool is unbearable to drive on the street they're up their ***. *though you won't be doing a full turn around on a one lane street in one sweep*
disregard the above statement if your car isn't drag racing orientated of course. Keep in mind everyone has a different tolerance level.

OP I wish you the best of luck on finding a rear that suits your needs.

Last edited by SteenH; 02-03-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Have you ever had a brand of differential that hasn't broken for someone, somewhere? I haven't, and I highly doubt you haven't either. Bob
Yes the Strange S-Trac not even when it was in testing stages when it was in our possession before release. We haven't had a failure with the Grip Pro either but the key to this is selling the correct differential for the application.

This is why we offer multiple differentials, we are not limited to what Moser or Strange offer.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob@BruteSpeed
Correct, and it automatically comes with lower control arm relocation brackets, sway bar mounts and brake clamps. Thanks. Bob
Ok I'm looking to possibly order today. I think a tru trac, 35 spline, 9 inch would be perfect. I think with the $100 off I could get that for under $3000 shipped? Is there an email I could contact you on? Id like to make sure this will hold 600-700 hp, and I have a few other questions on what I would need as bare minimums.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sail Hatan
Ok I'm looking to possibly order today. I think a tru trac, 35 spline, 9 inch would be perfect. I think with the $100 off I could get that for under $3000 shipped? Is there an email I could contact you on? Id like to make sure this will hold 600-700 hp, and I have a few other questions on what I would need as bare minimums.
brutespeed@gmail.com

Thanks! Bob

Old 02-10-2016, 02:33 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

So, I see the 35-spline and 31-spline options for the TruTrac with the 9"... which would be better with 600rwhp with an automatic? Just go with the 35-spline?

Also, given that I have a 3.5" driveshaft already, I believe it was 1" shorter than factory with a longer yolk, would that work in the 9"? I know it was bought with the idea of going with a 12-bolt. But it looks like the 9" needs a shorter driveshaft? And S60 considerably shorter?
Old 02-10-2016, 03:05 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
So, I see the 35-spline and 31-spline options for the TruTrac with the 9"... which would be better with 600rwhp with an automatic? Just go with the 35-spline?

Also, given that I have a 3.5" driveshaft already, I believe it was 1" shorter than factory with a longer yolk, would that work in the 9"? I know it was bought with the idea of going with a 12-bolt. But it looks like the 9" needs a shorter driveshaft? And S60 considerably shorter?
With an automatic with 600 rwhp you should be fine with the True Trac with the 35 spline axles. I wouldn't go with the 31 spline axles. If it was a manual transmission I'd recommend a spool instead.

The 9 inch requires a one inch longer driveshaft than the 10 bolt and 12 bolt use. Bob

Old 02-10-2016, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

We don't use 31SPL at all and do not recommend a TruTrac as we had to many failures with them through out the years. We have a better option that is 35SPL and has proven to be a good alternative for mid HP level vehicles with an automatic or manual. We sold hundreds of them last year with zero issues or performance complaints.

If someone is interested in saving money and don't need the housing assembled we could build a Moser stamped housing package together building the center section in house.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'll swap the 35 spline Wavetrac for the 35 spline Truetrac for the same price for you. Bob

Old 02-11-2016, 06:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still think your best bang for your buck is a Strange S60.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOLO
I still think your best bang for your buck is a Strange S60.
I do to as well. Considering we offer Moser and Strange there is a trade off between the two. A nine inch will give you easy gear changes but because they shift the torque arm bracket to the drivers side and the pinion to the passenger side it makes contact with the floor leaving a nasty dent plus it may put the driveshaft close to some manufactures driveshaft safety loop. You also have to pay for a drain plug.

A S60 is not as easy to service as a nine inch and is limited on gear ratios. It is also one of the heaviest rear ends on the market. It does however come with a drain plug plus fluid. Couple downfalls are some rear aftermarket covers hit the PHB and if your vehicle is slammed to the ground the torque arm bracket too can make contact with the floor.

Downfall on both is any cast style housing will have limitations based off of HP and weight, this is why you see builds progress they eventually go to a fabricated housing.

Still your best bang for the buck will always be our fabricated nine inch. If you consider the cost of our package that includes a torque arm & crossmember compared to purchasing else where you will see that we end up being the same cost if not cheaper once you factor in purchasing a torque arm and crossmember that doesn't come with any other rear end besides an M9 that is priced well above our fabricated housing.

Some downfalls to us has been the wait at times but now in our new facility we have more room to get items manufactured and out the door. Wait time on builds are minimal dependent on the options you choose. Custom colors will add to the time frame over our standard black but we can have other colors done. We have had Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple. It has always been a very popular choice to mix red and black items together for rear end packages.

We also allow customers to put down a deposit and pay as they can with no limits on how much you pay at any given time or how long it takes you to pay off your order. This has helped customers build the rear end they always wanted and if your current rear end is not broken it allows you to still use your vehicle and pay for your rear end. Once you pay it off swap the two and sell your stock rear end why it still has value.

Any questions please feel free to ask.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:56 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

The OP bought a Moser 9 inch with a Wavetrac from me. Thanks for the order. Bob

Old 02-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

That's a good price, Bob with the Wavetrac. Since I don't need a new Torque Arm, Trans Crossmember, or Driveshaft (turns out it is about 1" longer with the billet yolk) that I just need the rearend. Also, I don't have ABS... so the 9" makes a lot of sense.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:50 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

That's a good price, Bob with the Wavetrac. Since I don't need a new Torque Arm, Trans Crossmember, or Driveshaft (turns out it is about 1" longer with the billet yolk) that I just need the rearend. Also, I don't have ABS... so the 9" makes a lot of sense.
The standard nine inch would work out well for your combination. Bob

Old 02-22-2016, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

so far I'm very pleased! hopefully when the wheels are on everything clears and doesn't whine and all that! But up to this point I'm very pleased.
Old 02-27-2016, 08:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The Wavetrac is an awesome LSD unit. I have one in my solid 8.8" in the RX-7 holding around 1400hp.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to buy a new rear for $2500?