Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10-Bolt ReBuild Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10-Bolt ReBuild Issues

I freely admit that I committed rear axle sacrilege by rebuilding my 7.5-inch 10-bolt. But I got a deal on parts and wanted to give it a try, plus it should last a while at my power level (500hp flywheel).

This is my 5th axle build (4 jeep axles previously) and the first with a problem.

Parts used:

- Richmond 3.73 gears
- All Timken bearings on the carrier and pinion
- LPW cover
- New Yukon gear yoke
- Timken wheel bearings and pinion seals

I was able to achieve a backlash of .007-inch, middle of the .005-.009-inch spec according to my alldata.com specs.

I achieve a decent (not great) drive side pattern on the gears. By decent I mean the pattern was nicely centered top to bottom and from toe to heel. What I did not like about it was that it was a little 'thin'.

The coast side pattern was weak. It was also thin like the drive side, but was closer to the toe than the heel, which I did not like, but any adjustment I made to improve it made the drive side worse, so I figured I would compromise.

I set the pinion preload at 30-in-lbf (high side of spec) with a Ratech solid pinion space tightened to 125-ft-lbf.

Issue:

It HOWLS!!!! while coasting. It makes little or no noise while accelerating. But the howl while coasting is ridiculous.

All the reading I have done states that howl on deceleration is a lack of pinion preload - I know that is not the case when I built it, as I am at the high side of the spec. I pulled the drive shaft and checked the pinion yoke nut, it has not loosened. I also made sure the pinion angle was set correct.

Thoughts on cause and correction? I plan to pull the axle, open the cover, pull the carrier and inspect, but am curious if anyone has corrected a similar condition.

Thanks,

C

Quick Reply: 10-Bolt ReBuild Issues