Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Pinion Seal Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pinion Seal Replacement

I'm in the process of installing Viking Coilovers in the rear of my 02 Camaro. I decided to pull the rear while I had everything apart and clean it up. I noticed that my pinion seal was leaking so I changed it.

After reading a lot on these forms I found out that a lot of people are putting RTV or another form of sealant on the splines as well. I did not do that as I didn't see that until after I did the replacement. Will this cause a leak? The tech at the dealer said to just put sealant around the collar of the seal and that's all that is required.

Also while installing it, I marked the nut and the pinion bolt so I would know roughly where to retighten the nut too. Everyone says to tighten the nut 1/8 past the mark on install so I did that. However, when I did I noticed that the rear seamed way to tight. This was observed by spinning the yoke by hand. I ended up backing the nut back to the original mark and now it feels like it was. Again this was only an 1/8 of a turn. Could this cause any future problems?

Thanks for the help
Old 02-07-2016, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

You sound like you did good. I've done a bunch with no sealer on the splines and dont recall a leak. However, its never a bad idea.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I know they say not to over tighten the nut so I was careful not to go to far. I was surprised the 1/8 of a turn impacted it that much so that was why I backed off back to my original mark.

Quick Reply: Pinion Seal Replacement