Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

MWC 9" Tunnel Mount Torque Arm Clunking

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 59 Likes on 42 Posts

Default MWC 9" Tunnel Mount Torque Arm Clunking

Hey folks, I'm running a MWC 9" with a tunnel mount torque arm. I get a lot of clunking between shifts and when on and off the throttle. It sounds like a bad factory TA bushing.

I installed a Seals-it Sealflex Elastomer Rod End (SF1010R) and that helped a lot but I'd also like to replace the poly bushing that joins the trans cross member and the torque arm mount. Does anybody know the size of this bushing?

Any other tricks to reducing the clunking of a trans cross member mounted torque arm?

Also, I am curious what mounting position on the trans cross member folks are using. I'm on the 2nd from the top hole.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Im on the lowest hole for my tunnel mount. It is not factory smooth over bumps but there is no clunking with mine...or maybe you just mean general harshness, which does come from aftermarket parts and should be expected.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Im on the lowest hole for my tunnel mount. It is not factory smooth over bumps but there is no clunking with mine...or maybe you just mean general harshness, which does come from aftermarket parts and should be expected.
Harsh is expected. The clunk is identical to kind that occurs when a factory TA bushing goes bad on the tail shaft of the trans.

I've been planning on lowering the TA to a lower hole and adjusting the TA accordingly.

It was such a PIA dialing in the pinion angle that I haven't wanted to mess with it.

Nice SS BTW
Old 08-03-2016, 01:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Thanks, and yeah it shouldnt really be any clunks. Chassis mount torque arms do ride bad, plus our roads are crappy here so it makes it worse for me. Sounds like every single thing happening in the rear end whether it be gear noise or road imperfections comes straight into the console.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

What one would consider clunks would be considered normal from others when using rigid aftermarket suspension items. If you feel it is excessive I would go over your install completely one more time as memory serves me correct you had a few struggles understanding how to install your rear end package.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I used a ridetech adjustable rubber bushing to fix my noise.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Midwest Chassis Fab 9" Torque arm is Rock solid. I Have no clunking noise a all.
Old 08-04-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I was goin to ask if something lik this existed. Good to know
Old 08-04-2016, 05:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
What one would consider clunks would be considered normal from others when using rigid aftermarket suspension items. If you feel it is excessive I would go over your install completely one more time as memory serves me correct you had a few struggles understanding how to install your rear end package.
I appreciate your suggestion and will review accordingly however I would like to address your last statement:

My struggles had absolutely nothing to do with understanding how to install the rear and everything to do with the quality/condition of the parts I received.

Starting with a misaligned housing end, bent pinion yoke, unbalanced driveshaft and a howling center section. FWIW here is an update, I ended up tearing down and rebuilding the center section myself and it's now dead silent. I also ended up building a jig on a frame puller to correct the housing geometry. That was a challenge but afterwards the axle slid in perfectly straight and no more vibrations. I do appreciate you sending me the replacement yoke. And you have my address should you decide to reimburse me for the $50 invoice I sent you to have my driveshaft re-balanced.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:12 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry about your particular issues, but we tried to work with you and did offer to replace your entire package and you obviously declined. As far as your driveshaft issue, it is a component we don't manufacture and you took it upon yourself to have work done to it before giving the manufacturer a chance to make it right.

Regardless we are happy to have you as a customer and glad to see it all worked out. Rest assured you have a dependable rearend in your car.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I checked out Ridetech's website. Do you remember the model numbers of the rubber bushing you used?
Old 08-17-2016, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine also has a similar clunking, worse at higher speeds when coming off the throttle. Feels like the forward/backward rocking motion the mount allows for. My pinion angle is set, wondering if I need to adjust my LCAs or something. Would be interested to hear more about the adjustable rubber bushing
Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 99bluefirebird
Mine also has a similar clunking, worse at higher speeds when coming off the throttle. Feels like the forward/backward rocking motion the mount allows for. My pinion angle is set, wondering if I need to adjust my LCAs or something. Would be interested to hear more about the adjustable rubber bushing
This is a good way to describe it. The seals it rod end helped reduce the audible element of the clunking but the movement persists. Almost every passenger I've had has asked about the clunk.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

The clunking/movement persists after lowering the TA down a hole. Does anybody know the size of the bushing between the cross member and the TA swing arm?

Also, I messaged with HioSSilver and his ridetech fix was very similar to the seals it elastomer rod end I installed.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you get their race type torque arm?

I've had a slight clunking noise when I had mine installed. But since I got their "race" version torque arm which has adjusting nuts at every end of the TA, the rear top arm wasn't completely snugged down. I could almost move it side to side (if this all makes sense). It's hard to get a wrench up there and tighten it with the beefy 9" so I had to loosen my shocks to lower the rear and tighten that adjuster nut. Now everything is snug and no clunking.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by tnmotown
Did you get their race type torque arm?

I've had a slight clunking noise when I had mine installed. But since I got their "race" version torque arm which has adjusting nuts at every end of the TA, the rear top arm wasn't completely snugged down. I could almost move it side to side (if this all makes sense). It's hard to get a wrench up there and tighten it with the beefy 9" so I had to loosen my shocks to lower the rear and tighten that adjuster nut. Now everything is snug and no clunking.
If you are referring to the rod end at the the top of the housing then yes, I have torqued that down and checked it several times. The ears bent in a few degrees when torquing these locations. I have also torqued the lock nuts on the rod end shafts as well.

I'm beginning to think that the differential is the source of the clunking. There is alot of slack. I can rotate the drive shaft about 35° before the axles turn. The pinion is meshed well with ring as I observed when the center section was out. All the slack seems to be within the differential unit.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:50 AM
TECH Resident

Looking for more ideas on this clunking. It is most noticeable when cruising at highway speeds. If I let off the gas it clunks. When I re-apply the gas it clunks. If I really feather it I can keep it from clunking. It does feel like something is moving below the floorboard when it happens. All fasteners are torqued. I am also noticing some vibrations creeping back from the rear end.

Quick Reply: MWC 9" Tunnel Mount Torque Arm Clunking