Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

7.5/8.8 axle options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 7.5/8.8 axle options?

I'm in the process of building a 8.8 for my Trans Am. Using the explorer center section with hiltsy torque arm mount, 14 GT500 diff with 3.73 gears and the stock 7.5 tubes and LS1 rear brakes. Also going to narrow it 3" per side.

I plan on running racestar wheels. I seen in the racestar wheel thread in the wheel section that racestar wheels are hubcentric and Moser axles are lugcentric and won't work. I'm not sure on that but I know the wheels are hubcentric. I contacted Strange today and told them about my axle and they said I'd have to change the bearing end to run their axles. Seriously??

So what are most people running? Moser or Dutchman axles? What do I ask for when telling them what I need to order? I don't plan on running abs so no need for the axles made for reluctor rings.

As for length, stock is 32". From what I've read the 8.8 center pin is 7/8" and the 10 bolt center pin is 3/4". So with my housing being narrowed 3" per side would my axles need to be 28-15/16" long? 3'' shorter and 1/16" per side shorter for the bigger center pin?
Old 08-11-2016, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Your math is correct. Other guys have used Moser & Dutchman axles for their 8.8 builds. You just need a 10-bolt axle with an Explorer 31-spline end. The 10-bolt axle bearing seat is bigger than the 31-spline so it will work.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another option (if you can be a little narrower) is to use 2 passenger-side Exploder axles and shorten only the driver's side of the 8.8 housing. RockAuto shows these axles at 27.81" so you'd have about 57" wheel-to-wheel flange with rotors.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
Another option (if you can be a little narrower) is to use 2 passenger-side Exploder axles and shorten only the driver's side of the 8.8 housing. RockAuto shows these axles at 27.81" so you'd have about 57" wheel-to-wheel flange with rotors.
Thanks for chiming in. I'm ordering Moser axles next week for my fbody 8.8 build. My buddy has a Chevy II and is wanting to build a 8.8 for it. We're going to do like you said and use two short axles for it. I have the parts left from my 8.8 so we have the extra axle to do so.

Thanks again,
Eric
Old 08-13-2016, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's funny. My son is building a pro-touring '66 Chevy II and he's putting a 57" wide 8.8 in it, built with 2 short axles.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernie W
I contacted Strange today and told them about my axle and they said I'd have to change the bearing end to run their axles. Seriously??
That is because it is the correct way to run axles especially for a performance application. Keeping the C-Clips can cause havoc if you ever break an axle. A 9" housing end is the only way to go on any rear end.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
That is because it is the correct way to run axles especially for a performance application. Keeping the C-Clips can cause havoc if you ever break an axle. A 9" housing end is the only way to go on any rear end.
What is wrong with C-clip eliminators?
Old 08-19-2016, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main issue with c-clip eliminators is they are prone to leaking secondly they just are not as safe as the 9'' housing ends.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

What, you don't have faith that the rotor and caliper will keep it in place?
Old 09-21-2016, 08:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cwarta
What, you don't have faith that the rotor and caliper will keep it in place?
It can but I have seen were it has not. Your rotor and brake caliper isn't the same as a C-clip eliminator or running 9" style ends. On a side note I would not run C-Clip eliminators either as they are prone to leaking on a street driven vehicle.

You break an axle and rely on the rotor and caliper to support everything you are replacing it including the axle possibly. Put 9" ends on it and break an axle and you are replacing just the axle.

Certain things are just worth doing right and only doing once. When it comes to this particular issue I don't want to risk anymore than I have to.

I feel the same way about stepping up to a 1/2 stud over the factory 12mm stud. That is also another good investment when building a rear end. But if you are purchasing axles and stepping up to 1/2 studs this would be the time to spend the extra money to have them drilled for 5/8 studs just in case.

We all say bolt on's and some stick with just bolt on's but most of us can't seem to call it quits and keep modding more and more as the years go by. Spend the money once and if you can't save until you can.

This is also why we allow customers to make interest free payments on our housing packages. Pay as little or as much as you would like until it's paid off, whether it takes a month or three plus years.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It can but I have seen were it has not. Your rotor and brake caliper isn't the same as a C-clip eliminator or running 9" style ends. On a side note I would not run C-Clip eliminators either as they are prone to leaking on a street driven vehicle.

You break an axle and rely on the rotor and caliper to support everything you are replacing it including the axle possibly. Put 9" ends on it and break an axle and you are replacing just the axle.

Certain things are just worth doing right and only doing once. When it comes to this particular issue I don't want to risk anymore than I have to.

I feel the same way about stepping up to a 1/2 stud over the factory 12mm stud. That is also another good investment when building a rear end. But if you are purchasing axles and stepping up to 1/2 studs this would be the time to spend the extra money to have them drilled for 5/8 studs just in case.

We all say bolt on's and some stick with just bolt on's but most of us can't seem to call it quits and keep modding more and more as the years go by. Spend the money once and if you can't save until you can.

This is also why we allow customers to make interest free payments on our housing packages. Pay as little or as much as you would like until it's paid off, whether it takes a month or three plus years.
I agree with this, its why I wont even bother fixing my 10bolt im just going to get a MWC 9in, my friend has one and loves his to death. It hasn't given him any issues and it didn't break before his engine did at 800+whp, his new engine is down to 615whp but its on a safe tune instead of balling tune. He has a MWC 9in with 1/2 studs, wavetrac dif, MWC LCA yada yada, Viking coil overs front, Viking shocks in back. All from MWC.

Quick Reply: 7.5/8.8 axle options?