Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 05:34 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9" axle removal

Ok so I have a moser 9" and was trying to put some new wheel studs in and I can't get to the nuts because of the wheels in the way for the abs I couldn't even fit a wrench in there to get to it. So my question is, is there a special tool or how can I get them out of there.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Let me see if I am understanding you.

You want to change wheel studs but you have a 4ch vehicle? You are not going to be able to get those studs out with that in the way. The process of assembling axles starts with the wheel studs for this exact reason.
Old 08-29-2016, 08:39 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Shown is a rear with the four channel ABS/TCS. The exciter ring can be see next to the brake backing plate. The emergency brake shoe has been removed in this photo, which is necessary to gain access to the four bolts that secure the brake backing plates. The 9/16 Craftsman wrench shown was ground down to make it thinner around twenty five years ago. Even though the wrench has been made thinner, it is still strong. It was used to install hundreds of (PTO's) power take off units on trucks over the years, and works very well on these nine inch Moser rears. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 08-29-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bob supplied you with a good picture getting to the backing plate bolts/nuts however I'd suggest to make sure the E-Brake cable is unhooked first plus pull out the sensor so you do not damage it and taking the E-brake shoe and keeping it attached at the bottom adjuster just by lifting it up over the axle flange and letting it hang down low. This will keep you from having to readjust the shoe later when reinstalling it because it can be a pain to expand it back over the adjuster later on and you eventually spin it all the way in to make your life easier.

Last edited by MidwestChassis2; 08-29-2016 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses but the picture shown is a lot different than mine I also have third gen breaks on mine so I don't have shoes in the rotor and what am I supposed to don't of the studs bend there has to be a way to change them I case one breaks.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your axle flange should have an access hole on them so you can get to the nuts. I've came across some in the past that have not and made specialty tools here.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" axle removal