Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Two bent axles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two bent axles?

When my car was on the dyno a while back they notice I had a wobble in my wheel. So I've read a few threads of people bending stock axles. Last night I jacked the rear up, took off the wheels, and put it in gear. I noticed it was like that on both sides though. It is very slight. I don't hear any noise and really don't even feel any vibration while driving it. What are the chances of bending both axles though?
Old 12-26-2016, 12:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a dial indicator that you can put on the housing and slowly turn your axle by hand and see how much you are talking about in wobble. If you don't have one some auto parts stores will loan you one for a deposit and when you get done you get all of your money back. I would see how much your axle is moving before you start throwing parts at it. You may have a little bit of wobble when you don't have your wheels on the car but when you do it gets more visible to you. It could be in your wheels and not just your axle. I don't know what kind of set up you have so a small amount is going to be normal. Very small amount. But if you have a bent axle then you could have a bent housing also and that may be what you are seeing is the housing and axle bent in the housing or the other way around. Good luck
Old 12-28-2016, 12:07 PM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks for the reply. I've kinda put it on the back burner until I finish my head cam swap. I'll be digging into it here in the next few weeks. I was hoping it would be a wheel as that would be an easy fix but I pulled them off and the hub was wobbling pry a half inch and both sides were very similar.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TrentB
Hey thanks for the reply. I've kinda put it on the back burner until I finish my head cam swap. I'll be digging into it here in the next few weeks. I was hoping it would be a wheel as that would be an easy fix but I pulled them off and the hub was wobbling pry a half inch and both sides were very similar.
Those axles need replaced! As Skypuppy said check everything out before buying any parts so You know what all is needed. The chances of Your housing surviving what caused Your axles to bend is not good. Housings can be straightened so not all is lost.

Carl
Old 12-28-2016, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yeah I definitely plan on it. Was hoping I could get some Moser axles and a girdle and put a $500 band-aid on the 10 bolt until I can afford something stronger.
Old 01-06-2017, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a alignment 4wheel and see if your housing is bent. I just got though replacing my housing and a new axle and ring and pinion and posi. I went off road and it bent my housing and I didn't know it was bent tell I had a bearing noise and the axle was all pitted and after I got it back together I had a wheel alignment done but I had them check the rear wheels and I was out on the alignment in the rear. And we all know that you can't straighten a housing in the car so I had to replace it with all new bearings and seals It cost me $275 to straighten my housing. You can even bend it when you have or do it yourself the lower control arm brackets installed on your housing if you don't know what you are doing. They can bend real easy.

Quick Reply: Two bent axles?