Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stall or gear swap first? For a DD.....opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2016, 05:11 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The higher the stall speed and the higher the gear ratio, the more it's like driving around with a slipping clutch.
This is technically true, but the effect on driveabilty is related to more than just stall speed alone. Converter quality plays a major role in this aspect, which is why some 3,000 stall speed units will feel looser than better quality units with significantly more stall speed. Gear ratio changes are one way to deal with the excessive looseness of a lower quality converter, but with a top shelf unit the street manners will be greatly improved regardless of final drive ratio. Another factor is internal transmission gearing, especially first gear. Having a 2.73 final ratio with a 4L60E/700 (2.73 x 3.06 = 8.35) is comparable to having a 3.31 ratio with a TH350 (3.31 x 2.52 = 8.34) throughout first gear. Again, not ideal but certainly not terrible IMO with a good quality converter. Ultimately, it will still be a matter of personal preference as to what is or is not acceptable.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Great thread ... only thing missing is some popcorn. OP, if I were near you, you could drive my A4 TA with a 2.73 and Vigilante 2500 stall. Obviously you want to go with more stall that what I have. But it should give you a pretty good idea of how much better it's going to get with a 3200 or more with different gears in the rear. I tried a 3200 and didn't like it, but then most of my driving was on the highway and I didn't plan on changing the rear gear ratio. I'd say converter first. But then I'm sure you're not going to want to waste any time getting those 3.73s in there.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At this time, Im going with a gear swap first because I need a tune due to the sluggish nature since the bolt ons. The TQ converter/trans cooler and install is a bit out of my dollar rnage (had to put new tires on recently)

I could use some help with parts....

Motive 3.42 gears (have these - for the 2 carrier)
Ordering https://www.summitracing.com/parts/MGR-R7-5GRLMKT

What about Axel bearings and seals? link to specifics?

Have a local shop install this
Old 01-09-2017, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

this kit also includes axle bearings and seals.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/m...rskt/overview/

for separate bearings and seals with your linked kit

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msr-9563/overview/

NEVER use 'axle saver' bearing assemblies.

Quick Reply: Stall or gear swap first? For a DD.....opinions welcome