Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Difference in rearends

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference in rearends

I tried the search function. If there is threads out there, please just tell me what to search for. The search I used was difference in rear differentals. If not here is my question what is the difference in the different rearends.
9 inch, 12 bolt, dana 60 fab 9 inch?

I have a Stock 2001 Pontiac Trans Am Ws6. Automatic transmission. The car will be a street car and Drag car. I am thinking 3.73 gears for now till the motor is done. My plans for this year before summer is to do all suspension and wheels and tires. I would like to run drag radials at the track for now. This winter I am going to start building a twin turbo 390 or 408. When the engine is almost complete I will be doing the transmission and the Brakes also. trying to do research before making a purchase in march. Thank you for taking the time to read this and responding.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Quick run down.

Stamped nine inches-
Are a heavier cast housing that is prone to making contact with the floor boards due to manufactures moving the pinon closer to the passenger side and the torque arm mount closer to the drivers side. Still has the nice feature of center section swaps.

12-Bolt-
Most will not recommend the 12-bolt for the F-Body. Good solid rear end but is prone to gear noise over time.

Strange S-60-
One of the most durable housing you can use however with durability comes extreme weight. Good features of the Strange S-60 is the fact it comes with their S-Trac, one of the if not the most durable differentials on the market.

Fabricated Nine inch-
There is many options for the fabricated nine inch however most are very limited in options and features. This is were the Midwest Chassis fabricated nine inch comes into play. It is the only rear end on the market that bolts in just how the factory rear end comes out. This is included with any stamped housing.

We offer the little things that make the install easy such as brake line tabs, brake line clips, e-brake brackets, and we don't even charge for a drain plug like other manufactures.

If you put our package together you will see that you are getting a lot with our package that comes with a torque arm and crossmember of your choice for close to what others sell just a housing. Let alone we offer multiple different options for the center section.

Any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your response. I am going to put together a list of things I would like a quote on. I also pmed you
Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by hooley
Thank you for your response. I am going to put together a list of things I would like a quote on. I also pmed you
Got your Pm thank you.

Keep in mind if you are doing a complete build or even need smaller items we do a Layaway program that requires a percentage down and you pay as you go. No time limit no extra fees.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:44 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Moser doesn't charge for a drain plug in a fabricated M9 either. Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Old 01-13-2017, 09:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the original poster, in an effort to help You make a good decision You might go to the sponsor feed back section https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback-70/ then type in the name of the sponsor You are considering doing business with. It could help explain why when something is made to sound rosy and peachy it might be a line of @&*$.

Carl
Old 01-14-2017, 09:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carl at CRP
To the original poster, in an effort to help You make a good decision You might go to the sponsor feed back section https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback-70/ then type in the name of the sponsor You are considering doing business with. It could help explain why when something is made to sound rosy and peachy it might be a line of @&*$.

Carl
Thanks for that suggestion.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:21 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I am extremely happy with the fab nine I got from burkhartchassis. I did not have to make any body modification to install it, it came with drain and fill plugs. Only real trick I had was figuring out the routing of the e-brake cables.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the S60, yes they are heavier than the stock, but it will pretty much handle anything you throw at it. And they will bolt on just like the stock differential as well. Talk to Carl at CRP.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOLO
I like the S60, yes they are heavier than the stock, but it will pretty much handle anything you throw at it. And they will bolt on just like the stock differential as well. Talk to Carl at CRP.
I've never personally dealt with Carl at CRP, but he's always browsing the forum helping guys out, and I've yet to see a dissatisfied customer. Definitely worth contacting him if to see if he has what you're looking for. It's worth it to contact a few different companies to see who's got what you need for the right price.

As far as the rear ends go-
A 12 bolt will take anything the average race car will throw at it. (With a spool not a little girly differential) I can confirm that mine is a little noisy, not a whole lot more than the s60/fab 9" cars I've been in mind you.

S60 is a sweet rear end that is pretty much indestructible, it comes with a weight penalty though. (Limited gear ratio selection as well)

Fabbed 9" are the most pricey but in reality the best choice if your wallet allows it. Very strong, lightweight, easy to work on.
Don't bother with a stamped 9"

Best of luck!

Edit: if you don't mind changing gears down the road, then by all means go with 3.73s for your current setup, but if you're wanting to do it one time, you could go with somewhere around 3.55s which can take you pretty far with a turbo setup, and still work great for the time being.

Last edited by SteenH; 01-15-2017 at 04:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Difference in rearends