Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

10 Bolt Whine

Old 02-23-2017, 09:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Bolt Whine

There is a quite whine in the rear end around 40 MPH, under acceleration. Also, whines a bit in first gear under deceleration; such as when I am in a parking lot and roll out in first gear towards a stop sign and dont shift, the car decels and there is a whine then.

Is this cause for concern in the ol 10 bolt? I had one blow like glass before and it was quite loud and apparent when it started.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

A whine is an indication of the ring and pinion are out of whack to put it not so technically. Time for a rebuild or an upgrade.
Old 02-25-2017, 08:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
A whine is an indication of the ring and pinion are out of whack to put it not so technically. Time for a rebuild or an upgrade.
I agree with this, something is amiss.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

Whats the average cost of a rebuild? Or should I just get a 12 bolt or something?
Old 02-28-2017, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KonkeyDong
Whats the average cost of a rebuild? Or should I just get a 12 bolt or something?
This is were 01ssreda4 and I will disagree as he has had good luck with his 12-bolt but history has shown the 12-bolt to have gear noise over time and why most vendors prefer not to sell them and suggest other options.

Depending on budget we suggest a Strange S60 or even our fabricated nine inch. We of course would suggest our fabricated nine inch for multiple reasons but the biggest reason is it is the only rear end on the market that bolts back in just how the factory 10-bolt came out. No need for muffler clamps or zip ties to hold things in place.

Ours comes with E-Brake brackets, brake line tabs, brake line clips and we don't charge extra for a drain plug. One nice thing we do is offer our layaway program. Put a deposit down and pay as you can with no extra fees or penalties.

Give us a call when you get a chance and we can set you up with just about anything. (309)382-6252
Old 02-28-2017, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
This is were 01ssreda4 and I will disagree as he has had good luck with his 12-bolt but history has shown the 12-bolt to have gear noise over time and why most vendors prefer not to sell them and suggest other options.
Now now, calm your shorts. I think the 12 bolt is ok in a lot of applications including my own, however, I realize they are more prone to gear whine (which doesnt mean it will break) which is an annoyance. Looking back I probably would have gone 9 inch if just for nothing else then ease of gear swaps. An s60 would not be on my radar.....for a multitude of reasons. Ive even considered selling my 12 bolt and going to a 9 inch, but probably wont.
Old 02-28-2017, 09:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Now now, calm your shorts. I think the 12 bolt is ok in a lot of applications including my own, however, I realize they are more prone to gear whine (which doesnt mean it will break) which is an annoyance. Looking back I probably would have gone 9 inch if just for nothing else then ease of gear swaps. An s60 would not be on my radar.....for a multitude of reasons. Ive even considered selling my 12 bolt and going to a 9 inch, but probably wont.
I do agree certain rear ends have their place, unfortunately not to many of those applications have a torque arm attached to them. I'm highly impressed that you have had good luck with yours.

Nothing holds its value as well as a fabricated nine inch plus allows for future growth. You could start out with the most basic center chunk and get a good percentage of your money back after years of use then upgrade to something better.

I see it all the time from past customers that come back years later to upgrade and got extremely good money out of their used ones. Even more crazy is I see used Midwest Chassis fabricated nine inches pop up for sale now and then and sell for almost full retail numbers in a days time.

We could talk differences in opinion for days as its been done to death especially on here about all the differences in rear ends and pro's and con's all though I'm not sure there is a con to our fabricated package.
The following users liked this post:
DJB (06-09-2020)
Old 02-28-2017, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm a funny guy. I do rear gear swaps for people locally, not bc I need money but because I like doing them, a few a year. My prices are as follows: you bring me just the rear end, $50. You bring me the car: you can't afford it LMAO. I'm not a mechanic by trade, I don't want to remove your brakes, wheels, and have your car in one of my garage bays for however long. So yes, the ability to swap gears on a center section on a bench would be pretty handy when you don't feel like crawling around under a car all day. I've done two gear swaps this month, both under the cars, and I've had my fill for a while.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it like this glorious wailing banshee?

If you answered yes, what you are hearing is metal on metal! It would be better to go the route of an S60 or a 9" considering having someone rebuild it will be roughly half the cost of a brand new S60 or 9".

I am in the market for a rear myself, I detonated two sets of 10-bolt gears in 8 days
Old 03-01-2017, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Which way you go is totally up to you but we can get you taken care of with an S60 or a 9". Give us a call and we can go over all the different options. (309)382-6252
Old 03-01-2017, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a quite whine in the rear end around 40 MPH, under acceleration. Also, whines a bit in first gear under deceleration; such as when I am in a parking lot and roll out in first gear towards a stop sign and dont shift, the car decels and there is a whine then.

Is this cause for concern in the ol 10 bolt? I had one blow like glass before and it was quite loud and apparent when it started.
Very common noise in these rears from the factory. I'd change the oil and see how it looks. Every Fbody I've owned from new had some whine under acceleration from 40-70 mph. Not saying it right but that's my experience. None of them ever gave me any trouble and 2 of them had ALOT of whine from 40-70. Dealers always refused to fix them stating they all do it.................... BS of course. One I opened up to change the oil and sure enough the back lash setting was off quite a bit. Still never failed.

Of course a 12 bolt etc will be much better for hard driving, the 10 bolt will not live very long under hard acceleration conditions from my experience. I broke one on the 1-2 shift with stock engine and trans at low mileage too.

Last edited by RockinWs6; 03-01-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

No, its not a wailing banshee. lol

I suppose I can check/change the oil, however I have no experience doing so.

Do you just pop off the cover and get the oil out somehow? Then replace?
Old 03-02-2017, 06:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts

with a drain pan underneath,loosen the covers' bolts,start removing bolts from the bottom holes,after you removed 6(with 4 still holding the cover on),if the cover has not loosened away from the housing and the oil started to drain out,give it a slight pry with a screwdriver to pop it away from the housing to start the oil draining. gear oil is smelly and messy. after most of the oil has drained out,remove the cover. take pics at this point and post them. a 2000 should have a Torsen. fill port is on passenger side of housing,a plug that uses the 3/8" square of an 3/8" extension.
Old 03-02-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would be more worried if mine in the t/a didn't whine lol. The one I had in my camaro whined. I would at least check and make sure it had enough fluid in it.
Old 03-02-2017, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Okay. Ill do that this weekend, Saturday morning. What gear oil should I get to refill it and how much? Are there gaskets to replace?

Just FYI, its is not noticeable after about 45MPH. Just upon deceleration at low speeds (5-10MPH) and upon acceleration between 20-45MPH. I dont think its anything serious at this point, but I know getting things fixed and replaced before they cause more wear and tear is always the way to go.

I get some pretty bad wheel hop sometimes when launching and whatnot. Should I start with lower control arms? I've read that can help a lot with wheel hop and may be the best first step.
Old 03-03-2017, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

I get some pretty bad wheel hop sometimes when launching and whatnot. Should I start with lower control arms? I've read that can help a lot with wheel hop and may be the best first step.
Start with buying a better rear.............. launching with a 10 bolt lol maybe a few times if its running good then BOOM.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I understand best case scenario, but I dont have $2000 laying around to spend on a rear end. Just not feesable at this point.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

worry about the wheelhop. thats what kills the 10 bolts fast.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 10 Bolt Whine