Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum

I weighed a 3.5 inch pst aluminum and a strange 3 inch steel today. 12.8 lbs for the aluminum and 18.2 lbs for the steel. I figured some of you have been curious about this. I have been also. I'm also curious to the weight of a carbon fiber driveshaft.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

I went from a Strange C/M to a PST carbon fiber shaft and saved 11 pounds.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
I went from a Strange C/M to a PST carbon fiber shaft and saved 11 pounds.
Wow that's a lot, me and dad was thinking it would only be a pound or two lighter than an aluminum shaft. Thanks for the info!!!
Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nmass399
Wow that's a lot, me and dad was thinking it would only be a pound or two lighter than an aluminum shaft. Thanks for the info!!!

I really wanted to go the Carbon Fiber route but didn't due to every shop in my area being extremely nervous on installation basically being held responsible for errors on them lol. One thing that I heard others talk about with Carbon Fiber is if it's placed close to exhaust the heat can make the adhesive breakdown?? Don't hold me to that but just something that was brought up, but if you wrapped the piping I'd think that would be good in not exposing the carbon fiber to extreme heat.

I ended up going from a steel to an Alum from Mark Williams part# 39985 Accu-Bond Driveshaft. It was a little pricey but service, quality, and detail are top notch. They are true balance all shafts which are balanced with yokes & U-Joints attached at Mark Williams not just the shaft so it's ready to go as soon as it arrives.
Attached Thumbnails Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum-image1.jpg   Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum-image2.jpg   Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum-image3.jpg   Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum-image4.jpg  

Quick Reply: Driveshaft weight steel vs aluminum