Help identify Strange axles - LS1TECH

Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Help identify Strange axles

Old 03-20-2017, 08:35 PM   #1
11 Second Club

Question Help identify Strange axles

I ordered a new pair of Strange S/S 35 spl axles and just received them and one axle looks to be heat treated on the inside of the flange and also through the splines, and the other axle has no heat treating at all showing on the inside of the flange or the splines.

They both have a different finish on the outside of the axle shafts also, one is smoother and more shiny, the other one has a darker rough finish.

Anyone that has a pair of Strange S/S or Pro Race axles can you help me out here and tell me what you think... as this is my first ever pair of Strange axles and it would be good to know your opinions on why the different appearance between both axles. I'd be lying if i said im not a little concerned on running these now. Thanks

Edit: the heated areas on one of the axles is more visible in real life than what I can get the pics to show it up, especially on the splines. But you can see the heated part on one of the flange below.

The axle with the heated part on the flange is also the axle with the spline when looking at the flat end of the axle, the spline looks blue/heated to the center core, the other one is just more of a plain steel look.

Just to be clear, these were ordered and purchased brand new from a reputable Strange dealer, as a matched pair of S/S axles.

Launch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
TECH Junkie

They look like two different axles (which may not matter). The transition between the flange and axle are different, I'd send those pix to Strange for a definite answer...
S10xGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
They look like two different axles (which may not matter). The transition between the flange and axle are different, I'd send those pix to Strange for a definite answer...
Thanks. I was going to contact Strange next, it might not be anything to worry about. The transition of the axles is actually identical, it's the heated up part which the pics are making the shape look different. Also the one axle being closer to the camera than the other. It's the heat treating that im curious about, the splines on one axle are also heated on the same axle which you can see in the pics has the flange heated.. I just couldn't get the spline difference to show properly on the camera.. but I can definitely see it in person.

Anyone here who has purchased Strange S/S axles recently or past year or so, which one of the above does your axles look like? If I had to guess it looks to me almost like they forgot to heat treat one of the axles.. Or they heated only one axle up for some reason. But because I haven't run these axles before i'm not sure. Should i just run them as they are?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #4
LS1Tech Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch View Post
Thanks. I was going to contact Strange next, it might not be anything to worry about. The transition of the axles is actually identical, it's the heated up part which the pics are making the shape look different. Also the one axle being closer to the camera than the other. It's the heat treating that im curious about, the splines on one axle are also heated on the same axle which you can see in the pics has the flange heated.. I just couldn't get the spline difference to show properly on the camera.. but I can definitely see it in person.

Anyone here who has purchased Strange S/S axles recently or past year or so, which one of the above does your axles look like? If I had to guess it looks to me almost like they forgot to heat treat one of the axles.. Or they heated only one axle up for some reason. But because I haven't run these axles before i'm not sure. Should i just run them as they are?
I've seen this before but not that dark. Contact Your dealer and let Him do the leg work for You, that is part of what You paid for.

Carl
Carl at CRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #5
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl at CRP View Post
I've seen this before but not that dark. Contact Your dealer and let Him do the leg work for You, that is part of what You paid for.

Carl
Thanks Carl.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM   #6
11 Second Club

If anyone else has purchased Strange S/S axles recently or in the past year or so.. and can confirm if your axles have a heat treated circle around the inside of the flange where it tapers down to the bearing area (see pics above).. I'd greatly appreciate your reply, so I know what im dealing with.

I have decided I will not run these axles as they are. My instinct is telling me that one axle should not show heat treating on the flange and the splines, and the other one does not.

Which axle is the mistake though? .. I don't know. I'd love to hear more of your opinions. I'm sure someone out there has received a pair of Strange S/S axles recently and we can compare.

This was disappointing to say the least when I opened the box to see this, as I always thought Strange sold quality gear. I might be wrong.. but again instinctively i can't trust to run one heat treated axle and one not. I've used other pairs of axles in the past.. and they always looked pretty much identical to one another. If I can also figure out which axle is the good one.. I can better know where I stand to try get this fixed.
Old Yesterday, 05:25 AM   #7
11 Second Club

So far it looks like the heat treated axle is how they are supposed to be, and the other one they forgot to heat treat it. How can I wait 8 weeks for a pair of custom order axles and they do this.
Old Yesterday, 05:26 AM   #8
11 Second Club

From dragzine..

Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM   #9
11 Second Club

Anyone had this happen before?

Another pic from hotrod mag confirming that the heated part on the inside flange is how the S/S axles should be..

So I have one good axle, and one defective one. It'll cost me more than the axle to ship it back. Im sure Strange has been selling these long enough to know better than to "FORGET" to heat treat an entire axle, when they had 8 weeks.

I will measure the one axle and put it for sale with confidence it is how it is supposed to be, after seeing different pics of the Strange S/S axles, the heat treated one is normal.

So the other axle is probably going to kill whoever try run it, so i'll throw it away.

I've now cancelled my order for the rest of my Strange purchase (housing etc) after it taken them 3 months after payment to make a housing, and quit while im ahead down the axle purchase, if this is how they send out axles after 8 weeks of me waiting I don't want to see how their housing is they send me, if they ever were going to.

Onto Plan B.

Last edited by Launch; Yesterday at 05:42 AM.
Old Yesterday, 05:48 AM   #10
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10xGN View Post
I have now confirmed between other owners of Strange axles and also pics from the net to confirm that the heat treated axle is the proper one, and the other one is wrong.

I guess I expected better. The dealer who I purchased through thought it was a 2-3 week turn around time for the housing + axles, and it has ended up 3 months. Not the dealer fault at all. For whatever reason Strange Engineering wanted to make this an experience I will never forget. I will never consider purchasing one of their products again.
Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM   #11
11 Second Club

If anyone wants one good brand new 35 spline Strange S/S axle let me know. I will put up the length of it tomorrow. It is to suit all typical Ford LATE BIG ends + brakes, not GM f-body ends. So the axle is basically a BIG FORD LATE 9" 35 spline axle. And has brand new Timken street bearing/seal fitted.. again suit BIG FORD LATE ends and BIG FORD LATE brake kits.
Old Yesterday, 07:58 AM   #12
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Have you contacted Strange and asked them what they thought about it? And who did you purchase them through.
MidwestChassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #13
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestChassis View Post
Have you contacted Strange and asked them what they thought about it? And who did you purchase them through.
Purchased through Summit. From the 3 weeks expected ship date for an S60 housing and S/S axles, and weird questions they were asking Summit to ask me, it became a 3 months wait for Strange to make a typical pair of axles and housing.. is that normal..

Whatever their reason, I definitely didn't instigate any of this.. I just made a simple order through Summit, and i've bought heap of parts from Summit.. it's not their fault, they had placed the order with Strange straight away after I paid in full.

I've had enough of it. I can see which axle is wrong, one axle is heat treated the other isn't. Whoever made the axles and was installing the bearing couldn't see one axle isn't heat treated.. come on.

I've now cancelled my S60 housing order with Summit after I showed them how I received the axles. They can't do returns on overseas orders. Who's going to pay the shipping to and back when it costs as much as the axles.

I bought this all in separate parts so it all ships air freight to me here, so I get it quicker. And it has ended up a bad joke.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 AM   #14
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Strange can typically get axles out in less than a week and around 3-4 weeks on the S60 depending on how busy they are. Where are you located?
MidwestChassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #15
11 Second Club

Quote:
Im sure when Strange dealers such as yourself purchase a complete S60 or parts, they do it properly, and don't take 2 to 3 months.

I contacted Strange alright. I don't have patience for people blatantly f&cking me over. This wasn't a mistake. I went above their recommendation to purchase a complete S60 from their overseas dealer here, for good reason, and I bought it from Summit in parts so it all ships air, and Strange figured out it's me and they had a problem with me doing so. Even Summit knew they taken far too long with it.

F&(K strange engineering. If they are good to guys like you and carl good luck to you both.. may it continue for you. They won't get another one of my dollar again. What's it matter to them who I purchased it from, I had my reasons to buy it in parts.. I wanted it air freight to not wait for ocean freight.. and their dealer here has a reputation to not deliver parts ordered for ages. Looks like they got some STRANGE idea in their heads when I bought it my way.

I will put $1000 bet down they've never sent out a pair of their S/S axles like this to anyone in the USA. Because im overseas and I ordered it my way rather than how they want, they thought they'd show me otherwise and id be dumb enough to run a bad axle and kill myself or others.

I will wait for someone on the entire internet to show me a pair of their Strange S/S axles they received looking this way..... I highly doubt it'll ever happen.
Old Yesterday, 08:57 AM   #16
Staging Lane

I dealt directly with Strange for my S60 and couldn't be happier, one of the easiest purchases ever made.
topless2002SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM   #17
11 Second Club

Quote:
Strange can typically get axles out in less than a week and around 3-4 weeks on the S60 depending on how busy they are. Where are you located?
Exactly why Summit had a 3 week expected ship date on the axles and the housing. And it ended up 2+ months for the axles.. And the latest ship date for the housing became APRIL 15th, from 8th February order date.

As of today I have now cancelled the housing order. Summit themselves knew it's not right so they have agreed to cancel.

Im sure it's because im in Australia and I went above Strange's main dealer here to purchase. Strange had a major problem with it for whatever reason.. Im sure they're good to you guys over there.

If I hadn't just received the axles looking this way, I wouldn't have said a word about it, or just cancelled the housing. How can I trust the housing after seeing the axles this way.

3 months to make an f-body bare S60 housing is warning bells that something was major wrong.. and just receiving the axles this way proven it.

I was looking forward to assembling it and was even going to buy their race brakes also straight after the housing arrived.

I had become a bit paranoid after Summit kept changing the expected ship date, I know it had nothing to do with Summit, I know they ordered it right away. But I just thought Strange must just take that long. Now I know otherwise.
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #18
Launching!

I know your pissed and everyone else would be too.I would contact strange and have them send a "call tag" meaning they pay for the return of the axles. They should also credit your account including the shipping your out. I don't think it was on purpose to send out a bad axle. I think it just slipped through. **** happens....it's now up to the retailer to make it good.
2ToeRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #19
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing View Post
I know your pissed and everyone else would be too.I would contact strange and have them send a "call tag" meaning they pay for the return of the axles. They should also credit your account including the shipping your out. I don't think it was on purpose to send out a bad axle. I think it just slipped through. **** happens....it's now up to the retailer to make it good.
Summit can't do returns on overseas orders. Understandably because the shipping alone costs nearly as much as the goods themselves. It's a risk I taken and haven't had any problems up until this latest Strange order.

I just take the hit on the axles. I'll try sell the good one. The other S60 parts ive purchased that Summit had in stock i'll try sell also.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #20
11 Second Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by topless2002SS View Post
I dealt directly with Strange for my S60 and couldn't be happier, one of the easiest purchases ever made.
Im sure it was. I contacted them to purchase direct also, before going through Summit. I had emailed one of their salesperson to and from several times and had a freight company here which would pick it up from them direct. All seemed to be going well, then a main player in Strange butted into the email from his sales person and somewhat rudely said to me, we won't sell to Australia direct, you need to go through VPW or Rocket Industries.

So rather wait months for ocean freight, and risk their dealer here making an incorrect order, because they've barely know what a 93-02 fbody is here, I noticed Summit has the entire Strange line in separate parts, and their air freight is priced well.. so it just made better sense. Didn't bother me to assemble it here myself at all.. and I'd get it it under 4 weeks .. or so I thought.

Strange had other ideas. Whatever connection they have with their dealer here, it is beyond ******* normal to do this to a customer who had good intentions of using their products. And I was going to buy their race brakes on top of that again through Summit also as soon as after the housing arrived to me in good shape.

Im exhausted after all of this. I had to buy it somehow else, so they didn't know it was coming here.