Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Adjusted my DSL today for exhaust clearance and it rubbed the Driveshaft

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 07:29 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Default Adjusted my DSL today for exhaust clearance and it rubbed the Driveshaft

So I decided to get rid of a little annoying issue with my exhaust touching the DSL loop. I didn't jack the car up. Just reached under, put a few more washers to space it down and went. Well I noticed on my test drive the exhaust was not longer contacting the crossmember of the DSL.

But I heard a ting ting noise. A new noise.

So I got home and adjusted the DSL. Ran it for a min and revved to see if I could locate the noise. Unsatisfied with that, I jacked it up. My adjustment had made it worse by pulling it closer to the driver side.

When I jacked it up, I was able to get my fingers on the top of the loop and found it was basically touching the driveshaft on the passenger side (my blindspot when it wasn't jacked up).

I saw a faint line around the driveshaft and found a small amount of metal dust. But I could not catch my fingernail on the visible line. So it was not grooved.

Do you think the driveshaft is okay? It's a heavy wall 3.5" aluminum shaft. It didn't get hot. And only made contact a couple of times at low speed from what I could tell.

I recentered it. And it has clearance. Not a ton. But it's cleared on both sides and on top. I need to pull it back up, but then it'll hit the Kooks True Duals. So I may swap to a new DSL to avoid the issue.

Lesson - don't shortcut things.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Ordered a MWC tunnel DSL loop to avoid the issue with either touching the exhaust or the driveshaft.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The MWC piece is very nice, but i had issues with mine not fitting right. I sold it to get a BMR one and wish I didn't. even at stock height the BMR will scrape on slight inclines.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts

Thanks for your order you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind the loop goes behind your fuel lines to be bolted up properly. Most do not do this and think it doesn't fit properly.

Here is an installed picture directly from our web site to show proper fitment with plenty of ground clearance.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2
Thanks for your order you won't be disappointed. Keep in mind the loop goes behind your fuel lines to be bolted up properly. Most do not do this and think it doesn't fit properly.

Welp, that was my issue before lol. Now I know for when I order a new one from you guys.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:27 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Ah okay. So just move the fuel lines back and slide/finagle it in?

Looks like I'll have to push the torque arm down along with sliding the driveshaft out.

Fun times.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjs1012
Welp, that was my issue before lol. Now I know for when I order a new one from you guys.
It's the most common issue we have with installation. We are slowly working on now getting install instructions for most of our items.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JakeFusion
Ah okay. So just move the fuel lines back and slide/finagle it in?

Looks like I'll have to push the torque arm down along with sliding the driveshaft out.

Fun times.
Yes sir unhook the lines slide it behind them and tighten them back in place.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Okay. Good to know!

Thanks a lot.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 157 Likes on 128 Posts

On my mwc break in , I rubbed mine on my loop as well. I thought the noise were my rear brakes because they were new and had a rough time getting caliper on disc . So I just thought my pads were rubbing down. Find out later my pst got grooved pretty good. I took it to a ds shop where they sanded it and checked the depth of the gouge. It looked real bad but he came back and said some small number and that he checked and it balanced out ok. Pst 3.5 inch uses 120 wall. All.fine but still sucks
Old 03-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Yeah, mine didn't groove. So I think it's okay.

DSS uses 120 wall as well.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:49 PM
Super Hulk Smash

I haven't got under there to look. But are there body mounts that hold the line? Can I just unbolt those and pull the line away from the tunnel enough to slide this in? Or is it move involved?

And when I unbolt the ujoint straps, should I replace those? I always have since it's like $5-6 for them but didn't know if it was needed.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Unbolt what is needed and slide it behind them and bolt everything back in place. As for hardware replacing I have a habit of always buying new no matter if they where used or not. May be a bad habit but it is a habit I have done my entire life.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:03 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MidwestChassis2

Here is an installed picture directly from our web site to show proper fitment with plenty of ground clearance.

That really is a nice DSL it is obvious it will work excellent!

Carl Loder

Quick Reply: Adjusted my DSL today for exhaust clearance and it rubbed the Driveshaft