Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear end whining after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 05:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear end whining after fluid change

I had the rear end fluid changed at my local GM dealership and now its whining when I am going 40 mph or higher. I had the synthetic put it.

Has anyone had that noise pop up after the fluid was changed?
Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they might not of put enough or left the drain plug loose. there should not be any noise with just a fluid change. also, if this was in your 2001 Z28 then GM puts synthetic in it already.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

Default whining

They may not have put in the right weight fluid when they replaced it. Also if your cars rear has ever been replaced you might have a different rear differential (none torsen)that requires the posi lube additive.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:38 PM
Banned

yep i had the exact same thing happen after a oil change in the rear..........i finally figured out that the old fluid had some type of additive in it......maybe Lucas or BG .......dealer put the synthetic oil with GM additive...sang like bitch.......i added a tube of BG no325 gear concentrate ...it cut the noise in half.Its painfully obious something is wrong in the rear...but since the CHEAP FKS at GM won't make good for it i'm gonna get stuck with a bill fixing it soon......by the way my car only has 40 thous miles on it......rear sounds like it was driven through the BAJA