Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Carbon Fiber DS and amount of weight saved.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber DS and amount of weight saved.

After doing a search, I can't seem to find the simple answer to the question I have. How much weight is saved by switching to a carbon fiber DS?
Thanks
Old 09-08-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what DS you are starting with. the aluminum or steel. The main goal of a CF driveshaft is not weight savings. It is the ability of the CF to dampen the harmonics of the drive train. I know it made a HUGE difference on my car especially once I get into the big mph. Alot of people complain about a small vibration they get at certain speeds that feels like its coming from the transmission. This is just the balance of the factory DS. With a CF you dont get that. If you do, something is broke.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About 4.5-5 lbs if you're starting with a stock aluminum shaft.

Another good thing is safety. It turns to thread if it breaks. I've been using CF shafts ever since I've been into F-bodys with no problems.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:27 AM
Teching In

How much horse power can they hold up to and clutch dupping?
Old 09-10-2004, 03:03 AM
On The Tree

Injeneer ripped two of them in half with only ~600 hp.

The problem isn't the shaft, it's strong as anything, it's the joining of the CF shaft to a steel yoke. Since you can't weld them together it's not a matter of the staft or yoke's strength, but of the epoxy/spline design that holds them together.

About 4 years ago when these became available there were lots of complaints about $800 units that shattered on the first launch with slicks. Havn't heard much about them at all in the last 2 years or so... either their not as popular or the quality has gone up considerablly. I don't know which.

Personally I'm in the "under 180 mph" club so a small harmonics advantage are less of a concern. I'll probably go with a Nitrous Ready DS for durability/peace of mind.

As with the shock-suscepible 10-bolts you'll find that the road racers will love them for weight savings, while the drag racers will hate them for launches. If you have an automatic tranny I probably wouldn't worry about this much, but it's something to consider for use 6-speed guys.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thx for the replies.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Teching In

Another option is a stronger aluminum driveshaft that has a different natural frequency (reduces vibration at normal speeds) due to a larger diameter. I have a Lingenfelter 3.5" aluminum driveshaft for sale on ebay, item #7922841880