Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

stock 10 bolt

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:43 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock 10 bolt

Hey guys, i'm new here, and i just want to say thanks in advance for all the advice you guys will be giving me for a lot of things to come... I've been noticing a whine coming from the rear for the past few weeks. It only happens when the car is in gear, between 30 and 60 mph, and when i take my foot off the gas, ie., engine brake. What do you guys think is wrong?? i hope i don't need a new rear, i can't afford a 12 bolt right now. Also, i think it's SLOWLY getting worse. Please give me good news....
Old 09-10-2004, 02:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the pinnion nut working itself loose if it's just on deceleration. If you can't tell by looking at it move the driveshaft back and forth and see how much "slop" you have with the pinnion.

Mine came loose and it started whining really bad. Tightened it back down, checked the gear mesh and all was good. Should probably pull the cover and check out the gears while you're at it. Good luck with it.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Teching In

I already checked the play in the driveshaft, it moves back and forth only VERY slight (less than 1/4 in). So i should open up the rear, and look at the gears (as well as changing the fluid while i'm back there)? thanks
Old 12-01-2005, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

I was using the search tool and found this thread...

This is EXACTLY what is happening with my car.. Is there anything else it could be?
Old 12-01-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whining usually denotes a problem with the ring and pinion (i.e. set too tight).