Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Borg Warner 3'rd gen fbody rearend into my 4'th gen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Borg Warner 3'rd gen fbody rearend into my 4'th gen?

Will a borg warner 9 bolt fit in my 4'th gen fbody? and how much punishment will this thing take?

I'm looking for a temporary solution to run ET streets while I save up for a real rearend.
Old 09-13-2004, 02:40 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fit? yes, but it's shorter (1-1/2" on each side I think) so you're wheels will need thick spacers to fit again.

Stronger? Don't think so.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, so I can run some ET streets, leave the BW sitting in my garage and if I do break something I can install it to get my car running again.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:08 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Yes it will fit but your gonna have some fun trying to fit your brakes on to it. They use an oddball flange. The easiest solution would be to put the older style PBR's on and get new backing plates as the 9 bolts used from 89 to 92 used those PBR's unless you happen to be fortunate enough to have one of those versions. The 9 bolt is stronger than the 10 bolt and they use bolt in 28 spline axles but they have cone type posi's and they don't last very long. Parts are very pricey and pretty much non existent. I have blown two nine bolts. One snapped at the pinion and the other was a posi unit failure. Good luck
Old 09-13-2004, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
Yes it will fit but your gonna have some fun trying to fit your brakes on to it. They use an oddball flange. The easiest solution would be to put the older style PBR's on and get new backing plates as the 9 bolts used from 89 to 92 used those PBR's unless you happen to be fortunate enough to have one of those versions. The 9 bolt is stronger than the 10 bolt and they use bolt in 28 spline axles but they have cone type posi's and they don't last very long. Parts are very pricey and pretty much non existent. I have blown two nine bolts. One snapped at the pinion and the other was a posi unit failure. Good luck

Exactly what I needed to hear, I'll just save up and get a Moser rearend. Thanks for the info
Old 09-13-2004, 05:10 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds wise to me. As an added bonus if the 9 bolt you have is a three series carrier ( 3.27 or 3.45 or 3.70 ) you should have no trouble selling it as the third gen scene is always hungry for the scarce three series parts. If it is a PBR style and you have the brakes that makes it even more desirable. Most I see listed on ebay sell for a decent buck... well when I say decent buck I mean for a stock rear that is marginally better then the 10 bolt. If its a 2.77 ratio its a hard sell. Good luck!
Old 11-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Teching In

I used to have an 89 GTA with a Borg Warner 9 Bolt.... after having chip,upgraded fuel system, iginition system, and a built trany i split a drive shaft in half and snaped the pinion head right off