Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

pinion seal - differencet sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 09:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default pinion seal - differencet sizes?

I know that the rear pinion seal and yoke underwent a revision '01-'02. It went from a 1 piece seal that has the OD tapped into the rear diff housing and the ID seals against the yoke. The new seal is a 2 piece seal. One piece sits over the yoke and increases the diameter of the splined part that slips into the rear housing. The other of the two pieces sits tapped into the housing just like the old seal, but it is larger to accomodate the larger diameter of the yoke with the seal's sleeve over it.

Question: I had a 2 piece seal from the factory. I had a 1 piece seal in my gear install kit. I removed the yoke seal piece and just used the older style seal against the bare yoke. An I asking for trouble? Is there a difference between the older and newer yokes once you take the yoke seal out of the equation? I dont want my differential to go boom.

Thanks,
-Tony

Sorry for posting this here, but the drivetrain forum just dosnt have the visibility.
Old 09-15-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let see how this does here.

I would call SDPC. They're probably familar with the 2 different types.