Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Stoopid V6 Car rear end questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2004, 05:32 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Stoopid V6 Car rear end questions

In a way I'm embarrassed to ask these questions, as it's basic stuff... but I have never paid much attention to the V6 F-bodies.

Anyway, was looking at an '01 V6 A4 Camaro for my GF at a local dealership.

1. The build sticker lists a "GU6". That indicates a 3.42 gear in the V8 cars. Is it the same thing in V6 models? Is this valid in an A4 car, because none of the A4 V8's came with GU6. It was GU2 (2.73) or GU5 (3.23).

2. Which option code will tell me if the car has a posi? I know, do a burnout... but the sales rep will probably take the test drive with me. I know that the old "Y87" option on the V6 came with posi, rear disc brakes, and dual tailpipes. But this car is not a Y87. I could also ask them to jack the back end up and I'll spin a wheel by hand and see what happens (other end should turn in the opposite direction), but it would be a lot quicker if I knew the code on the build sheet.

3. The car has disc brakes all the way around. Back in the LT1 days, all V6's had rear drum unless they were Y87. Do all of the LS1 era V6 cars come with rear discs?

Thanks in advance!