Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ordered my 4.10's

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordered my 4.10's

I got these oem GM gears from the sponsor with the master install kit. Is the installation hard or I should be able to do it myself. If not does anyone know how much gear installation usually costs, so that I know when I go to a shop. Also do I need to tune my car after the install? Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Installation is not easy for gears, which is why its one thing that many popel have others do. It requires pressing and pulling bearings off the pinion and carrier, which needs to be done at a shop. Getting the correct shim can be a pain since you have to install everything before you can check and if its wrong, you need to disassemble and pull the pinion bearing to change the pinion shim. Crushing the crush sleeve is also tough since it takes 300 ft lbs to crush. My breaker bar was bent like a bananna and i though either it would break or Id pull my carr off the jackstands. After you're done, yes you will need either a tune or another way to change the computer's gear ratio otherwise your speedometer and odometer will be way off. The rate for gear installs varies, but around here its 250-300.

-T