Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Synthetic Rear End Grease

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic Rear End Grease

Would it be adviseable to run synthetic grease in my rear end since it is limited slip? If so, what is the best kind to run? Do I also need to add a bottle of limited slip additive to it?

Thanks,
Peabody Holdaway
Old 10-05-2004, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Peabody Holdaway
Would it be adviseable to run synthetic grease in my rear end since it is limited slip? If so, what is the best kind to run? Do I also need to add a bottle of limited slip additive to it?

Thanks,
Peabody Holdaway
Limited Slip Additive? Yes.
Synthetic? No.

From Auburn's installation manual:

-IMPORTANT LUBRICANT NOTE-
The Auburn Gear limited-slip differential design has been extensively tested with high quality non-synthetic 80W90 hypoid oils treated with GM or Ford friction additives (3 oz. of additive will treat 1 quart of oil). To avoid differential clutch chatter (noise) and for optimum performance, use the oil and additive described above. Use of other additive and oil types my cause differential clutch chatter.
  • Ford Part Number: C8A219B546A
  • GM Part Number: 1052358
From Eaton's online FAQ:

What type of lubricant and limited slip additive should I use with my newly purchased Eaton Limited Slip Differential?
Eaton strongly recommends utilizing an API-GL5 approved Mineral-Based 80W-90 Axle Lubricant and one 4-oz bottle of Limited Slip Additive (GM or Ford).
By "mineral-based" they mean non-synthetic.

From Moser's online break-in procedure:
M/E Ring & Pinion Gears Break-In Procedure
A new ring and pinon installed with new bearings will initially generate higher than normal operating temperatures. It is advisable to use whichever of the following break-in procedures that matches your application.

Street
1) With car still on jack stands and rear end filled with proper amount of Non-Synthetic lube, run in forward and reverse for approximately 2 to 3 minutes.**
2) Drive vehicle approximately 10 miles at normal operating speed. Accelerate and decelerate several times conservatively, then let cool for one hour.

Drag Racing
1) With car still on jack stands and rear end filled with proper amount of Non-Synthetic lube, run in forward and reverse for approximately 2 to 3 minutes.**
2) Pull to line.

Oval Track
2) Run several laps at slow to medium speeds; let cool.
3) Run several hot laps; let cool.
Also listed on their site:
**If you are using a Limitied Slip Differential, you will need to add Limited Slip Additive to the fluid.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of people seem to use the phrases "limited slip"
and "posi" pretty loosely. The Torsen is not a limited-slip
unit. The clutch-type differentials need to follow the
above maintenance / lubrication guidance.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Teching In

Amsoil Series 2000 75w90 has the additive in it.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:29 AM
11 Second Club

hOW DO WE KNOW WHAT KIND OF DIFF. WE HAVE? i HAVE A 99 Z28 A4 W/ 2.73 STOCK GEARS! IS IT LIMITED SLIP?

-GABE
Old 10-06-2004, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
A lot of people seem to use the phrases "limited slip"
and "posi" pretty loosely. The Torsen is not a limited-slip
unit. The clutch-type differentials need to follow the
above maintenance / lubrication guidance.
"Posi" is just the trade name for an Eaton limited slip diff.
"Posi-Traction" is the trade name for an GM limited slip diff.

Yes, a Torsen unit is not a LSD... its a helical gear diff. Every LSD I'm familiar with uses a clutch plate/cone pack. There is no problem with using friction modifier in the Torsen... and it will make it run quieter.

Here's Torsen's reccomendations:

Can Torsen recommend an oil for my rear axle?
We suggest that you follow what is listed in your vehicle's owners manual. We do require that a GL4/GL5 class oil be used for the Torsen T-1. The T-1 requires an oil with extreme pressure additives for optimal function. Torsen works well in either synthetic or mineral base oils!

Torsen for GM vehicles:Is it true that the Torsen unit in the production Camaro needs the GM modifier added?
GM issued a technical bulletin adding modifier to the rear axle oil. This was done to quiet what we call a "Rusty Screw" noise that we heard in a very small percentage of vehicles. This does not happen in all cases, however to address owner's concerns we asked that the modifier be used in all instances to insure that the driver would not get this noise. When replacing the fluid it is at the owner's discretion whether or not to add the modifier. Elimination of the modifier does not affect durability of the differential.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CarrotcarZ
hOW DO WE KNOW WHAT KIND OF DIFF. WE HAVE? i HAVE A 99 Z28 A4 W/ 2.73 STOCK GEARS! IS IT LIMITED SLIP?

-GABE
Does it really matter? Just run non-synthetic oil and a bottle of GM friction modifier and you're covered either way.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by IMQUIK
Amsoil Series 2000 75w90 has the additive in it.
That's not exactly what they say on their web page... they just say their synthetic oil doesn't nessesarily NEED the additive... in their opinion.

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube is Recommended for Applications Requiring the Following Specifications:

API MT-1, GL-2 THROUGH GL-5
MIL-PRF-2105E
MACK GO-J, GO-J PLUS
CHRYSLER MS-9070
GM 12346190
FORD M2C-201-A
ROCKWELL 0-76-E
EATON PS-037A, PS-109

AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube provides limited slip performance. Although generally not necessary, original equipment manufacturers' limited slip additives may be used in conjunction with AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic Gear Lube.

NOTE: Most vehicle manufacturers recommend driving a vehicle in tight figure "8" patterns eight to ten times after changing limited slip lubricants.
Considering it's synthetic I wouldn't touch it myself unless I had a torsen... not a LSD.

Coincidentally Mobil 1 also reccomends their oils for Limited Slip use:

Recommended for many limited slip applications. For certain high level LS applications, additional limited slip additive may be required if axle chatter is observed.
Of course with the popularity of LSD's on the market, I would expect synthetic companies to try and take a shot at the market. Personally I'd stick the the manufactures reccomendations... not the oil makers.

Last edited by Steve in Seattle; 10-06-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarrotcarZ

-GABE
I believe in 99 they switched from auburn to torsen. You can always take the cover off and check.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dom
I believe in 99 they switched from auburn to torsen. You can always take the cover off and check.
I believe you don't have a LSD as they didn't offer it with 2.73 gears..

Dan
Old 10-11-2004, 03:59 AM
Launching!

Look for the G80 RPO code on the list on the inside of the drivers door.
If G80 is there then yes you have LSD , if not well....you know the answer to that .
Old 10-11-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Richmond makes a synthetic lube that is gl6 rated definatly a step up from gl5 lubes for shock and wear resistance.Drag race guys with spools love the stuff,my eaton hd
lsd in my moser did not .This lube would work excelent in a torsen or trutrac diffy.

Quick Reply: Synthetic Rear End Grease