Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Whats the difference between locker and Spool?

Old 10-17-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats the difference between locker and Spool?

Anyone have pics of either one? I know a spool basically connects both axles so they spin together and a posi. lets the axles spin independently for corners but what is a locker? Is it a combination of the two? What are the advantages and disadvantages?
I am thinking about doing a spool because I will have roughly 550rwhp/600rwtq with my cam and a TNT 150 shot.
Will 4.10's hook with that combo? What size slick will I need to cross the traps in fourth at what rpm? Thanks- Mike.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:07 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A spool is just like you said, just a coupler between to axles. A posi/ limited slip usually consits of cones/clutches and springs to apply pressure and keep the wheels spinning at or near the same speed. A locker has gear teeth that mesh with a center driver in the case. One gear is attached to the center while turning, which allows the wheels to turn at different speeds. While going straight both are attached to the center and it acts like a spool.
http://www.tractech.com/Products.htm#locking
Old 10-18-2004, 06:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You DON'T want a spool if your driving on the highway any at all. Straight line only.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Do they sell a spool for the stock 7.5 / 7.625 10 bolt? I can't seem to find one.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

http://www.quickperformance.com/Spools.html
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
You DON'T want a spool if your driving on the highway any at all. Straight line only.

Here we go again, giving advice when we have no personal experience. I drive my spool around every day and I hardly know its there. You dont even know you have it if your turning less then half your turning radius. On sharp hard turns you can tell because the tires give.

If you plan on making big power a 9" with a spool is the way to go. Lockers lock and unlock and unpredictable at times which is alot more dangerous in my opinion. The spool is 100 times more safe at WOT then the POSI because your rear end does crazy sideways.
Old 10-19-2004, 11:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Here we go again, giving advice when we have no personal experience.
Here we go ASSUMING I have no experience, and you know what that does? Makes a *** out of U and ME!!! I've been in cars with spools before. My buddy had one in his car, rode in it many times. He absolutely HATED it. When you turn very sharp at all, the rear hops a bit and the tires chirp as they're grabbing at the road or parking lot. It's like driving your 4 wheel drive truck around all the time with it locked in. Sounds good to me.
Old 10-20-2004, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Well the way I see it, your driving a race car. If your making big power there are some things you have to give up. If you like to complain and want a smooth quiet ride, then maybe you should buy a honda.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Well the way I see it, your driving a race car. If your making big power there are some things you have to give up. If you like to complain and want a smooth quiet ride, then maybe you should buy a honda.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:10 AM
14 Second Truck Club

There are better ways to have a driveable car with a strong diff than a mini spool. They are harder on axles, tires, and the whole driveline, not to mention less safe. If it were a true "drag only" race car, then a spool is the right choice. For street/strip a spool is the wrong direction.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
There are better ways to have a driveable car with a strong diff than a mini spool. They are harder on axles, tires, and the whole driveline, not to mention less safe. If it were a true "drag only" race car, then a spool is the right choice. For street/strip a spool is the wrong direction.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-20-2004, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the way I see it, your driving a race car.

Um. Don't tags make it a street car? Race cars are not typically street legal, hence being race cars. You can race a street car, but you really can't drive a race car (on the street, if you do, it becomes a street car....that gets raced). Track only, dedicated drag car...use a full spool (mini spools tend to explode) or a locker. Street use, stick to a locker.

My thoughts.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by trackbird
Um. Don't tags make it a street car? Race cars are not typically street legal, hence being race cars. You can race a street car, but you really can't drive a race car (on the street, if you do, it becomes a street car....that gets raced). Track only, dedicated drag car...use a full spool (mini spools tend to explode) or a locker. Street use, stick to a locker.

My thoughts.

Haha...lets take a poll. How many cars on this board, that have inspection tags, are street legal.
Old 10-21-2004, 01:23 PM
10 Second Club

Haha...lets take a poll. How many cars on this board, that have inspection tags, are street legal.
I'll have to agree with that, I know mine sure isn't. Converters, what are those officer?
Old 10-21-2004, 08:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

a locker will release at a point , spools never will unless it breaks which is extremly rare
i street my locker every day, in parking lots people sure give you soem funny looks the ratchiting sound confuses people who dont know but at the track stays locked
Old 10-22-2004, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

How about a trutrac?Same deal as a torsen only on a 9" scale,should be a good compromise without the clutch pack issues of a posi or the scitzo behavior of a locker.

Last edited by z-ya; 10-22-2004 at 01:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-2004, 02:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badpewter-z
a locker will release at a point , spools never will unless it breaks which is extremly rare
i street my locker every day, in parking lots people sure give you soem funny looks the ratchiting sound confuses people who dont know but at the track stays locked
I know what you mean, I street mine every day and get the same look from the chirping. I dont care though...%#*# em
Old 10-22-2004, 08:07 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I know what you mean, I street mine every day and get the same look from the chirping. I dont care though...%#*# em
yea, the look they give ya is priceless
Old 10-24-2004, 03:58 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I have a Tractech 31 spline soft locker and it's great at the track. It's fine on the highway but I have to make sure the car is straight before I wack it or it can get a little crooked... But I have my front swaybar off and I am on skinnies...
Old 10-28-2004, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by PairOJugs
my last camaro, a family project '67, backhalfed, tubbed, and with a spooled 9", broke a 33 spline moser axle with less than 3k street/track miles on it, and we had less than 600hp out of a 383. i don't think that's acceptable for a street car.

switched to a detroit locker and it lived at least a year after we sold it, that we know of.

I know, thats why I got 35 spline but alot of my freinds street theirs every day with only 31 splines in their spool. Must have been a finishing problem with your axles.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Whats the difference between locker and Spool?