Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

3rd and 4th gen wheel base the same?

Old 10-19-2004, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd and 4th gen wheel base the same?

are the 3rd and 4th gen camaro wheel base the same. Want to buy a 9 inch that came from a 3rd gen camaro, wondering if I will have to narrow the axles at all.
Old 10-19-2004, 10:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

from what I remember the 3rd gen rears are 2" narrower on each side. So basically you could get some real fat wheels that tuck in there nicely!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just asked this question on another board and I was told that the third gen rears are 1-1/2" shorter per side, totaling 3" narrower than a fourth gen rear. Also, all suspension mounting points are the same on a third gen as they are on a fourth gen. The mounting plates for the brakes will need to be changed to a fourth gen also. I think that about does it.

I feel confident that the source for my information was reliable.
Old 10-22-2004, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

I hoped under my car and measured if I could loose 1.5-2 inches on each side and there is no way. The tire would hit the bump stop and the inner fender well like crazy, especially if I got wider tires to compesate the narrowed wheel base. I just said screw it and ordered an auburn diff, new axle, and a stud girdle. I hope this will hold up in my almost completely stock m6 for a while. Just have to try stay away from too hard of launches I guess until I find a good used 12 bolt for sale.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry about the confusion, I never did specify that you would need to get custom wheels made for the proper back spacing. Also, my comments above are in reguards to a 93-97 f-body, I do not know if the mounting points are the same for LS1 cars.

Good choice on the hard launches. Mad hookup = 10-bolt death
Old 10-22-2004, 10:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I can second the fact that 3rd gens rear is shorter. We put the stock 99 ten bolt on my neighbors 89 tpi,
(bandade on a bullet hole) looked like a dragster in a bad way. never gone the other way around but looking at mine next to his you would pay a fortune to get the wheels to clear, or cut the hell out of your inners.
It did drop right in though.

Search this Thread